Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had there Escalade brake without a reason while backing up? since purchasing my 2015 Escalade in August of 2014, randomly it has braked several times, while backing up. The first time it happened i thought i hit something and I had to get out of the vehicle and check if i hit someone and there was nothing. I started paying attention to the drivers information screen and each time it has happened since i haven't seen any messages on the screen. I have also noticed several times that when id get into the Escalade id find my emergency brake turned on and i never turn it on while its just parked in the garage. Both of these situations are random and don't happen each time but only have happened when backing up. I thought it could be hill assist but, my driveway is flat and no message was displayed. I have seen the hill assist message several times when i parked on a hill and these random brake episodes were not due to hill assist.

anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
230 Posts
I had that happen last night and I too got out to see what was up. Only thing I could think of was a car passing by at that time. I was not even close to backing into the car but maybe the sensors have variables that would make the escalade think an impending collision (other car speed, distance, etc...). I think the escalade just got confused...

·
Registered
15 Escalade Plat SC, 14 CTS VSport Prem, 15 Range Rover SC
679 Posts
How fast are you backing up? I've had it throw on the brakes a couple times if I'm going down a slanted driveway or am reversing a little faster than I should be.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,751 Posts
The MB S class has it even better. The Lane departure warning doesn't just come with seat vibration but also stops the car and tries to turn it opposite the outer lane.

·
Registered
None
226 Posts
I've had that happen to me . My driveway is down hill and I always reverse in my driveway I've been driving an ESV 8 years and I know when to stop even if I'm backing in at 5-10 MPH . It actually thinks that I'm about to hit and the automatic brake comes on . So annoying!

·
Registered
2015 Mercedes CLS63 AMG S
890 Posts
Just so everyone knows, if auto-braking turns on a message should appear on the DIC. Something along the lines of "Press Brake".

If nothing is popping up and it's braking, something is wrong.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My vehicle is braking without a reason. No message on the screen and no beeps and nothing behind me and not on a hill and no cross traffic. also after starting my vehicle I have noticed my parking brake was on a few times and i didn't turn it on, the parking brake on doesn't usually correlate with the brake applying for no reason.

i keep experiencing these bugs, and dealers do nothing because they cant duplicate it, but this issue bothers me the most because it makes the Escalade hard stop and it feels like you hit something when you have no sounds or screen warnings.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the parking brake coming on is a separate issue from the brake activating when i back up, but when i start the car it shows its on and i turn it off and put the vehicle in gear. like i mentioned earlier i never turned it on so thats the part i want to know why i have these random brake ghost.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Re the parking brake: if you have a smart phone and can grab a quick picture of DIC msg saying the brake is on when you know it was not set by you, then you have something to show the tech guys at the dealership. If the "brake ghost" continues......take it to the dealer, they will most likely say "can't duplicate your issue", you should point out that it is a "safety concern" not to mention just plain annoying....they should be able to re-flash the software that controls this function.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,751 Posts
I'm not sure if it works like my Range Rover sport but those electric brakes disengages if you forget to release it while driving unlike the manual or foot pedal ones. Even then, the alarm in the dash should read emergency brakes ON. Do you get that alarm or warning?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
when ever the parking brake is on the light shows in the dash. but like i said when the parking brake is on and you didn't put it on that is what bothers me. also with it engaging the brake for unknown reasons really kind of makes me nervous when there is no reason for it to activate them - I'm calling it the ghost brake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts