Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the brakes replaced. New rotors/pads, line flush. The pads they put on were OEM, so I believe that they were ceramic and metallic.

They were squeaking really bad (and I know it's been cold here in Chicago), but they were terrible. Drove with squeaking for a couple months, told my mechanic they were still really bad.

He looked at them and they warped a bit, so they turned the rotors.

They are STILL squeaking, primarily at lower speeds, under 20mph and at different pressure levels (me applying brakes).

When I am driving down my one way streets here, and I am going 5-10mph, I hear a metallic squealing, like if I had the brakes on very lightly. I only hear this when I have my windows open down the street because the sound reflects off the parked cars.

What can I do to deal with this. Frankly it drives me nuts, and getting the brakes done to start was not very cheap in general.

Any advice would be great.
Nick

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
What kind of rotor and pad you have on the car now? Are they OEM?

·
Registered
2001 STS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OEM specification (but not GM products)
Combo ceramic/metallic pads and heavy duty rotors

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,802 Posts
Which brakes are squealing - front or rear ? Ask the servicing mechanic if he used a "brake cube" to turn the rear brake caliper pistons back into the caliper. (The rear pistons gradually ratchet out as an emergency brake adjustment process - they screw back into the caliper). What about a misaligned front rotor dust shield ?

·
Registered
2001 STS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm interesting.
I think I want them checked out by someone else. I think I need to do that for myself.
My suspicion was on the pads from the getgo.
If it's about $200 for pads I also have to get the money for the install too. P!sses me off, but I guess I will just have to deal with it for the time being, seeing that it's probably not just a quick adjustment - for the most part.

·
Administrator
72,802 Posts
Our brakes, pads and rotors are usually dead quiet. If you have squeaks, squeals, vibration, pulling - something's wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,955 Posts
They were squeaking really bad (and I know it's been cold here in Chicago),
Cold has nothing to do with it. Squeaking is caused by a vibration between the pad and the rotor. Different pads have different compounds. Go to http://www.rockauto.com and get the OEM pads. I used them on mine last summer and they are quiet.

·
Registered
2001 STS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like the fronts are the ones that are squealing alot.
Is this more of a cosmetic "it's annoying" fixes, or can this hurt the rotors in the long run. Car brakes fine, but I don't need any more issues after $2600 head gasket fix.

Looks like the good AC Delco ceramic pads are $50 a pop. I can spend the $100 and do them, but I don't want to spend much on the install either (obviously, as I just paid for these brakes a few months ago).

Nick

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Buy the parts and do it yourself... It is much more convenient than driving to a mechanic shop and giving your car to a mechanic that you have no idea what the hell he is going to do to your car and have no idea what type of parts he is going to put on your car....

·
Registered
97 ETC
84 Posts
Here is one tip and it was on a Deville I fixed a few weeks ago. It had all new front pads and rotors and a very light squeak..it turned out to be the pad clips had small tangs that were ever so lightly hitting the rotors . I guess I have a new customer now after finding it. It just depends on the squeak...

Hope this might help

·
Registered
2001 STS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have considered doing brakes myself so many times, but just uncomfortable with the prospect that if I messed it up, they are still my brakes.
I found this

It's a multi part brake pad replacement session.
Does this seem pretty complete? Although I think it's very nice and thourogh, it seems like there are a couple steps that he doesn't show explicitly and a couple parts, like those clips and the sensor, that I am not sure is necessary.
Plus, when he uses the clamp, he just shows it in the clamp already and not how he applied it.

Any info would be great, or maybe what I should watch out for, etc.
I am fairly mechanically inclined, but just want to do it right. I can't have a car sitting in a garage, disabled, because I farked something up or something doesn't fit right putting it back on.

I mean really, caliper off, old pads out, new pads in, caliper on - that's the jist. If I could replace my HID bulbs (major PITA) then I think I can do these.
Thanks in advance.

PS - If I am doing these myself, what could that metallic sound be when I am driving? (I mentioned it in the OP)
N

·
Registered
2001 STS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is one tip and it was on a Deville I fixed a few weeks ago. It had all new front pads and rotors and a very light squeak..it turned out to be the pad clips had small tangs that were ever so lightly hitting the rotors . I guess I have a new customer now after finding it. It just depends on the squeak...

Hope this might help
Just saw this after I posted, that helps with my "PS" question, thanks

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I have considered doing brakes myself so many times, but just uncomfortable with the prospect that if I messed it up, they are still my brakes.
I found this

It's a multi part brake pad replacement session.
Does this seem pretty complete? Although I think it's very nice and thourogh, it seems like there are a couple steps that he doesn't show explicitly and a couple parts, like those clips and the sensor, that I am not sure is necessary.
Plus, when he uses the clamp, he just shows it in the clamp already and not how he applied it.

Any info would be great, or maybe what I should watch out for, etc.
I am fairly mechanically inclined, but just want to do it right. I can't have a car sitting in a garage, disabled, because I farked something up or something doesn't fit right putting it back on.

I mean really, caliper off, old pads out, new pads in, caliper on - that's the jist. If I could replace my HID bulbs (major PITA) then I think I can do these.
Thanks in advance.

PS - If I am doing these myself, what could that metallic sound be when I am driving? (I mentioned it in the OP)
N
Replacing brake pads is one the easiest DIY projects that you can have. Just a generic suggestion: Buy a set of factory service manuals for your car or subscribe to online databases like alldata. You can find FSM on ebay for dirt cheap. Everything is described there step by step and you can not go wrong with it.

You don't need to buy new brake pad sensors, since your current sensors are good and you can reuse them. In this video the guy uses new sensors since his old ones are worn out (short circuit) and so he can not reuse them. Before starting the work, pay attention to see where those sensors going to and coming from. After removing the sensors and putting the new pads you need to just install them the way they were! nothing special...

Any generic auto or home tool box has all the tools you need, except brake pad spreader. You need a tool to reset the position of piston to have enough space to put the new brake pads. You can use clamps too, however I feel more comfortable with brake pad spreader. You can buy brake pad spreader for as little as 9$ from autozone!
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=141493_0_0_

·
Registered
2001 STS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the suggestion!
Thanks to everyone for the push to do it myself.

I am kind of excited actually because I have been meaning to try for a while, maybe my Camaro 8 years ago would have been a better starter than the Caddy, but oh well.

I am going to check out those manuals on ebay too.
Nick

PS - I might post back to verify I am ordering the right PN on the pads.

LASTLY -- are the rears just as easy?

·
Administrator
72,802 Posts
Know that the rear calipers swing up on the top pin bolt - it stays in the bracket unless you want to remove the entire caliper. The rear caliper piston screws back into the caliper - it's part of the parking brake adjustment system so it ratchets out everey now and then to take up slack caused by pad wear.

Get one of these at a NAPA store. Brake Cube.

Subscribe your car to www.alldatadiy.com - it's ALL in there plus so much more you'll never be able to surf it all.

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Eldorado Sport Coupe 4.6L Northstar "Y"
130 Posts
make sure you go and purchase "brake quiet" from an auto parts store. put the compound on the side of pad that faces the rotor. This will help with the new pads squeeking, i had the same issue for a long time after inspecting the pads and noticed that they were still like new.. even went to cadillac dealership last summer in schaumburg for there "free inspection" deal as long as you were there with "interest" for a new vehicle. (least to say, i only was there for the inspection and pretended to be interested. when i came back to the garage, both the mechanic and manager both said to my face, "your pads and rotors are perfect" followed by, "we put some compound on the pads to help the squeeking."

I was also told by the mechanic that i can just pick this up in either a "clay-like" compound or a "aerosol can" spray. Mechanic told me that the spray is "so-so", that i would have to buy a "technician grade" spray for it to actually work good and it costed almost 20$ for the can. Least to say, i havent had any squeeking as of yet and i have that backup can in my trunk in case it comes back. But after seeing my pads and rotors (been replacing brakes myself since i was 12-13yrs old) i dont think i actually need new pads for another good 1-2 yrs (depending on how hard i ride them). I hope this all helps, if anything there are plenty of places that sell aftermarket drilled/slotted rotors for your car, as well as pads to go with it.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,955 Posts
I've never had any luck with that stuff. Used to have Chevy S10 Blazers back in the late '80's and early '90's for my wife. Those damned brakes always squeaked. Tried that stuff and it just seemed to burn off with the first few brake applications. Anti squeal shims didn't help much either.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Do some research on different types of brake pad materials, make a educated choice, then throw away those noisey pads. Some pad materials that contain ceramics it seems are poor performing & usually noisey.

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Eldorado Sport Coupe 4.6L Northstar "Y"
130 Posts
I just spoke with a friend who owns a 2009 Dodge Viper SRT, reason being was because i remember he was having a squeak issue with his car after coming off the chicagoland speedway for a test drive to see what it can do. Long story short, After much troubleshooting with himself, his father, mechanics, replacing of all different auto parts "generic" pads of all sorts of available material. He finally installed Pagid pads with anti squeak shims and he hasnt heard a single bit of noise from brakes for about almost 2 years now.

Just a thought

1 - 20 of 37 Posts