Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2020 XT4
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week or so ago the car in front of me slammed their brakes and came to a stop, I saw it and was slowing down with plenty of space to stop when suddenly my brakes just locked up practically sending me through the windshield. It was so violent that my collarbone felt sore for a few days, never seen anything like it. I thought maybe it was a one-time thing and blew it off, but it happened again yesterday.

Does anyone know if this is some sort of safety feature to prevent accidents when you are within 10 feet or so of a stopped car or had this happen to them?

Curious if it is something I can turn it off or if there is an issue that requires a visit to the dealership or if I just need to get used to it and keep more distance in front of me.

· Registered
2020 XT4, 70 Cougar conv, 2002 DTS
932 Posts
Right on, Sub. Owner's manual page 216 says:

"If the vehicle has Forward Collision Alert (FCA), it also has Auto Emergency Braking (AEB), which includes Intelligent Brake Assist (IBA). When the system detects a vehicle ahead in your path that is traveling in the same direction that you may be about to crash into, it can provide a boost to braking or automatically brake the vehicle. This can help avoid or lessen the severity of crashes when driving in a forward gear. Depending on the situation, the vehicle may automatically brake moderately or hard."

It goes on with a fuller explanation of AEB & IBA, including this:
"AEB and IBA can be disabled through vehicle personalization. See “Collision/Detection Systems” under Vehicle Personalization, page 130."

· Registered
2 Posts
I don't know if it is standard or an option, but there is an automatic emergency braking system.

I would check the manual to see if it can be adjusted.
This just happened to me, throwing my 2 senior dogs to the floor. I had a flower pot and tools in the back that were also thrown forward hitting the back of my seat. It could've killed my little dogs! I was in traffic, gently braked as the traffic slowed, then pressed slightly harder, but not slamming on the brakes and they locked up. I could hear them squeal. I was afraid the car behind me would rear end me. This is so hazardous!!

· Super Moderator
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
4,462 Posts
In mine (XTS) with forward collision alert and autobraking, I have never had a hard brake yet even though I had the alert due to a car in front of me hard braking. As soon as the alert comes on I hit the brakes and there has never been a brake lockup. I wonder what the difference is between the two models for the XT4 to do this?

· Registered
2019 Cadillac XT4 Luxury
29 Posts
Is it possible in the 2020?
Right on, Sub. Owner's manual page 216 says:

"If the vehicle has Forward Collision Alert (FCA), it also has Auto Emergency Braking (AEB), which includes Intelligent Brake Assist (IBA). When the system detects a vehicle ahead in your path that is traveling in the same direction that you may be about to crash into, it can provide a boost to braking or automatically brake the vehicle. This can help avoid or lessen the severity of crashes when driving in a forward gear. Depending on the situation, the vehicle may automatically brake moderately or hard."

It goes on with a fuller explanation of AEB & IBA, including this:
"AEB and IBA can be disabled through vehicle personalization. See “Collision/Detection Systems” under Vehicle Personalization, page 130."

· Registered
29 Posts
my wife has been complaining of bone jarring, neck snapping braking on her 2020 sport lately.. brakes lock up the split second the chime and lights activate..
went into the personalization setting and under the collision alert it gave the option of "alert only" and "alert and braking"... needless to say it was selected to alert and brake.. it isn't now..

Bernie

· Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
1,771 Posts
It's almost like they need some kind of manual that new owners could read so they know how their new vehicle operates. They could print it on paper and put it in the vehicle. They could also make an electronic copy that you could download from the manufacturers web site. With a resource like this a person could learn about all the new features of a vehicle and avoid any big surprises.
If only there was such a thing.

· Registered
'19 XT4, '13 CTS-V coupe
103 Posts
If only there was such a thing.
Imagine if there was such a thing where one didn't need to get off their a$$ and actually put some effort into reading an owner's manual - hard copy or electronic - both of which are available in the vehicle or online. Or, ask your mom!

But seriously, the owner's manual contains a lot of great information and should be read when unfamiliar operation of the vehicle or its capabilities arise.

· Registered
'21 XT6, '19 XT5, '17 GMC Sierra 6.2
2,181 Posts
Imagine if there was such a thing where one didn't need to get off their a$$ and actually put some effort into reading an owner's manual - hard copy or electronic - both of which are available in the vehicle or online. Or, ask your mom!

But seriously, the owner's manual contains a lot of great information and should be read when unfamiliar operation of the vehicle or its capabilities arise.
I’ve never not read any owners manual on anything I’ve bought.
New TV, Fridge, oven, Mr. Buddy heater, lawn mower, kids toys, lazy boy recliner…I read them all. I have to know what’s up with these things.

· Registered
1 Posts
A week or so ago the car in front of me slammed their brakes and came to a stop, I saw it and was slowing down with plenty of space to stop when suddenly my brakes just locked up practically sending me through the windshield. It was so violent that my collarbone felt sore for a few days, never seen anything like it. I thought maybe it was a one-time thing and blew it off, but it happened again yesterday.

Does anyone know if this is some sort of safety feature to prevent accidents when you are within 10 feet or so of a stopped car or had this happen to them?

Curious if it is something I can turn it off or if there is an issue that requires a visit to the dealership or if I just need to get used to it and keep more distance in front of me.
We had the same problem on our 2020 XT6.

We had the Cadillac dealership re-calibrate the sensors twice and noting changed one we were home. The dealership then said something was loose on our bumper and wanted $1,000 to pull the bumper for an inspection. The car had been rear ended and required a bumper replacement, thus the charge. I took it back to the auto body shop and they tested the sensors which all seemed to be fine. They did locate the Radar Sensor part #84523853 and replaced it (took them 1&1/2 hours to loosen the bumper enough to change out the sensor)..Once replaced the dash "P" light was no longer lit up. I took it to the Cadillac agency and had them re-calibrate the Radar Sensor and now it is lit up unless we want it off. We were told it is a safety sensor and brakes should only lock up when very close to an object and it can be overridden in order to get closer to something like a wall..

No problems in backing up and brakes locking for 5 days now.

Hope this helps,
SallysXT6

1 - 20 of 20 Posts