Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS Every Option
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got new rotors and pads, r1 drilled and slotted rotors and the posi-quite ceramic pads.

I bedded them in by going from 60 to 10 8 times, and they stopped squeaking for a couple of weeks.

Now they squeak a lot again. And even when I'm stopped and a light and just roll forward a few feet and put the brakes on, it squeaks some.

WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THIS? I hate brakes squeaking more than ANYTHING

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
did you use anti squeel on the back of the pads? also know as anti seize.
its usually a blue or red rubber type goop you put on the back of the pad, it stops vibrations between the pads and the pistons.
if the pads you have use metal shims and they are NOT permanently attached (some clip on some are riveted on) i take them off and put anti seize between the pad and the shim, then on the back of the shim, this reduces a lot of vibration.
its the vibration that usually causes the noise.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts

I put it all over the pads wherever it contacted a caliper piston. Same thing with the metal clip indicators.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac Cts
162 Posts
did you also put anti spuek or silicon on the bolts that mount the caliper to the caliper bracket because they are what allow the caliper to move and if they are not lubricated it will be metal on metal (hence the squeling) and are more prone to seize up

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
:yeah:

Do that also. A member on here said the source of his squeaking was exactly that issue.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS Every Option
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I didn't install the pads or rotors, so those are all good questions haha. I had them professionally installed at a brake/tire shop. So I'm not real sure...I guess I could contact them.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac Cts
162 Posts
yea i would def find out if they did or not because any mechanic should know that the pads, caliper bolts and metal clips or anything that moves should be lubricated with a high heat silicon

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
did you use anti squeel on the back of the pads? also know as anti seize.
its usually a blue or red rubber type goop you put on the back of the pad, it stops vibrations between the pads and the pistons.
if the pads you have use metal shims and they are NOT permanently attached (some clip on some are riveted on) i take them off and put anti seize between the pad and the shim, then on the back of the shim, this reduces a lot of vibration.
its the vibration that usually causes the noise.
:yeah:

Squealing originates between the pad and shim, not the shim and piston. So you need to make sure you put disc brake quiet between the pad and shim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts