Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 CTS has very severe radio static or interference on the low end of the AM Radio ie 690 700 range when the brakes are applied. Has anyone else had this problem ? Getting close to end of warranty and I would like to get it fixed. Have this car in the shop foe warranty work more than any other car I have owned but still love it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just take it in now and explain the problem just as you did here and keep complaining about it if it's not fixed. You'll have documentation that it's been a problem even before you were out of waranty.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,060 Posts
I've heard of this before. Anything doing any electrical switching of battery voltage has a potentia for EMI(electrical magnetic interference).

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
AM? Wow, you're the first person I ever met that ever listened to a station on AM in 30 years! The fix is easy . . . install XM. LOL

Seriously, AM is very prone to RFI and being overpowered. Any kind of electric motor will give off RFI (turn on a blender with an AM radio running and see which frequencies it may affect). From Physics 101: A moving electric field creates a magnetic field. This is what causes the 60 Hz 'buzz' in guitar amplifiers (60Hz is the frequency of the alternating current in household wiring). I don't know what would cause RFI at 700 kHz though.

I'm not really sure why pressing the brakes would do this, unless you activate the ABS somehow (it may actually activate whenever the brakes are applied, but not put pressure on them.)

Is this something that has recently started, or has it always done it? This sounds like an issue that the dealer may have a hard time figuring out, unless there's a TSB somewhere on it to shield an electric motor or wiring.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,060 Posts
The brake pedal operates a position sensor which is a variable resistor this should be noise surpressed but may be the culprit. What happens if you push the brake pedal when you're stopped?

·
Registered
52 Posts
okieoily said:
My 2003 CTS has very severe radio static or interference on the low end of the AM Radio ie 690 700 range when the brakes are applied. Has anyone else had this problem ? Getting close to end of warranty and I would like to get it fixed. Have this car in the shop foe warranty work more than any other car I have owned but still love it.
Our '03 does the same thing and it is very irritating. I have to go to the dealer for another matter and I am going to ask them about it then. I don't have a lot of faith that they will get it fixed though. I notice it more if I am in a weak signal area, but like yours, it does it on the low end of the AM band.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had that same problem(not that I listen to am a lot though)! The fix for me was that some led's were out in the brake light above the rear license plate. I had them replace the light... all better. Put your brakes on and have someone look at the brake light in the back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyone's input. Yes it has the noise even when you are not moving, any time you touch the brake pedal the noise is horrific. I think I will call the dealership tommorow. It has done this ever since it was new, I just didn't worry about it before but now the warranty is about up and I see that the problem isn't going to go away by itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts