Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 cts 1985 eldo 1956 coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 06 CTS 3.6. I put CTS factory 19" wheels on it. Now I'd like to do something about the ugly brakes.
No covers .. I can't believe these things would stay on very long around here ... Northwest NY.
Does anyone know a "bolt on" upgrade ... If so .. please include pics.
I was also wondering if can just replace the stock rotors with V stuff (rotors and calipers). Although this seems to be a very expensive choice. And is the master cylinder the same on both ?
Thanks Spook

My Bad .... V's are 6 lug .... Can't afford another set of wheels !!!
So ..... I guess I'm looking at "larger" rotors, or not, and "nice" calipers ...

·
Registered
2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2
526 Posts
I have a 06 CTS 3.6. I put CTS factory 19" wheels on it. Now I'd like to do something about the ugly brakes.
No covers .. I can't believe these things would stay on very long around here ... Northwest NY.
Does anyone know a "bolt on" upgrade ... If so .. please include pics.
I was also wondering if can just replace the stock rotors with V stuff (rotors and calipers). Although this seems to be a very expensive choice. And is the master cylinder the same on both ?
Thanks Spook

My Bad .... V's are 6 lug .... Can't afford another set of wheels !!!
So ..... I guess I'm looking at "larger" rotors, or not, and "nice" calipers ...
There are brake kits for this car that come with 2 to 4 piston calipers and drilled & slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads. Nice brakes aren't going to be cheap so if you want cheap go to autozone.

For example a set of decent EBC rotors and pads will cost you $750 not including shipping from AutoAnything.

A brake rotor/pad kit from r1concepts will run you $596 not including shipping from r1concepts.com

If you factor in 4 new calipers, especially new stock ones or new aftermarket calipers, then expect to spend like 1200 to 1500 easily.

·
Registered
07' CTS-V | 07' Lux 3.6 Volant-Borla-Vsways | 08' CTS 3.6 DI Performance
969 Posts
If you want to upgrade the brakes just for looks then why not clean and paint your calipers?
If you want better performance at a reasonable cost versus a big brake kit you can install R1 slotted/drilled/drilled&slotted rotors or from any other brand (StopTech makes them and PowerStop too)
And you can compliment that with better pads than OEM ones such as the EBC Red Stuff pads

I have R1 e-line slotted and cross drilled rotors on the front and the back with Centric posi-quiet pads.
The front rotors are the oldest ( ~3 years old) and reached the end of their life (one rotor developed a hairline crack on the outside side).
I'm happy with the duration they lasted for but this time I wanted to try something else.

I ordered a front set of R1 Premier Series cross-drilled and slotted along with EBC Red Stuff also from R1, they had a %15 discount going on a while back.

I have just had time to install them this weekend, here's a couple of pics.

The EBC Red Stuff came with black shims which the buyer has to install (they have an adhesive backing)
I had forgotten to install them when I took the pic, they cover most of the back of the red pad, still they show a red perimeter which is a nice touch cosmetically.

I think it would have been nice if I had the time to sand and paint the rotors silver, black or dark yellow, but maybe a project for later if I feel like it. Don't care too much for looks my priority was performance.

I shouldn't brake hard yet as I'm still seasoning the new rotors on my car and next up is brake bedding, so I'm still 500 miles of regular driving from actually breaking in the rotor and pads, but once I'm done these should be good for a long time.
But I can already feel brake bite for instance has improved immensely, barely touching the brake pedal at 40 mph is enough to bring my car to a stop in a short distance.
I'm sure once the rotor is seasoned and the pads are bedded this is going to be a significant performance upgrade than what I had before which was great to begin with.

I think going with a similar setup will give you both looks and performance at a decent price.

So you have different levels where you can go. Either a basic good quality non standard form rotor with good pads or an upgraded quality rotor and pads like I have here or an aftermarket system since your wheels can clear the bigger calipers. In my case I can't do that since I still have 16" snow tires on the stock 16" wheels while these 18" set you see is my non-snow driving set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts