Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've decided to get rid of the stock rotors and pads and I'm looking here to find out what you other Cadi guys chose when doing the same...I've looked through posts and can't really find what I'm looking for, a good straight answer.

Looking into Front Rotors, I wanted a little bit of an upgraded rotor and I've found that the PowerSlot (P/N 8664) seem to be the best bang for the buck (What do you think?) - they're not priced much over stock and they're slotted and coated to boot (coating to reduce the onset of rust, looks somewhat cool too). I've read conflicting information on Slotted and/or Drilled Rotors, still I've chosen to go with slotted...

As for the Rears, I've heard that there will be little, if any, increase in perfromance over stock, so I'll be looking into something similar to OE...

My story leads me to ask what type of pads most of you use when replacing your shoes... I've heard Hawk, Raybestos, Kelsey Hayes, KVR, etc. Does anyone have a good recommendation for pads?

Note: I'm looking for a pad that produces a limited amount of dust and has good stopping power - I just want a minimal upgrade over stock, not race pads that produce a ton of dust, chew through rotors and need heat to stop ...please advise, I must change soon.

Tha :( nks,

·
Registered
28 Posts
I put on Powerstops (crossdrilled) last March front and rear. I've also read the pros and cons between drilled and slotted. I've run drilled on my last three 5 litre Mustangs over the years and on my Boss 302 (Baer) with no cracking or other problems. Just my own experiance. The 5 litres were driven harder on a regular basis than my STS so hopefully my luck will continue. I run the Wagner Thermoquiets on the STS. Nice bite, quiet, and very little dust.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GKR said:
I put on Powerstops (crossdrilled) last March front and rear. I've also read the pros and cons between drilled and slotted. I've run drilled on my last three 5 litre Mustangs over the years and on my Boss 302 (Baer) with no cracking or other problems. Just my own experiance. The 5 litres were driven harder on a regular basis than my STS so hopefully my luck will continue. I run the Wagner Thermoquiets on the STS. Nice bite, quiet, and very little dust.

Where did you find powerstops for the rear, I can't seem to find anyone that carries an upgraded rear rotor?

·
Registered
28 Posts
They didn't show a listing but called them and they drilled a set up, cad plated them and sent them out. Part numbers were POW-AR8264L and POW-AR8264R. For fronts I used POW-AR8255L and POW-8255R.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GKR said:
They didn't show a listing but called them and they drilled a set up, cad plated them and sent them out. Part numbers were POW-AR8264L and POW-AR8264R. For fronts I used POW-AR8255L and POW-8255R.
how much were the rears, and how are they owrking out for you? how about pads F & R?

·
Registered
28 Posts
tryn2befree said:
how much were the rears, and how are they owrking out for you? how about pads F & R?
I paid $87 per side for the rears. For pads I'm running Wagner ThermoQuiets. Nice bite and no noise. I've been running these pads on my lifted trucks since they came out a few years ago so thought I'd try them on the Caddy. Brakes working great.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
GKR said:
Brakes working great.
When you say they're working great, does that mean they're working as well as they did when the car was new, or are they noticeably better than the stock brake setup? Looking for justification to spend more money on the brakes because I'm a little disappointed with the feel and stopping ability of my SLS. Do you think drilled or slotted rotors and good ceramic pads will make a difference? Are there aftermarket calipers out there that might help?

Thanks for the info! :yup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
mcowden said:
When you say they're working great, does that mean they're working as well as they did when the car was new, or are they noticeably better than the stock brake setup? Looking for justification to spend more money on the brakes because I'm a little disappointed with the feel and stopping ability of my SLS. Do you think drilled or slotted rotors and good ceramic pads will make a difference? Are there aftermarket calipers out there that might help?

Thanks for the info! :yup:
I would hazard to guess that the improvement I noticed was from the upgraded pads. I had warped front rotors so when I went shopping for new ones, I went with the drilled ones and of course the rears needed to match! If your rotors are in good shape, I would go with a pad upgrade. Other than the ultra-expensive Movit kit from overseas the only other rumor of upgraded calipers or oversized rotors might be from Baer Racing. Nice stuff but not cheap.

·
Registered
60 Posts
GKR said:

What was the name of the company you picked up the rotors from. Every where I look nobody has anything for the rears. As we all know you gotta match or don't bother to mess around with the OEM stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Think it was Raybestos, but opted for ceramic pads from Kragen/Schucks/Checker, for a Suburban and a Tahoe. Pricier than anything else, but in three years, no dust and they last and stop well with very little noise. Heartily recommend them.

Hard to believe the stock setup isn't cutting it!

Jeff

·
Registered
17 Posts
I receintly replaced my pads & rotors on the rear of my 94 STS, and even though I loosened the hydraulic lines before I collapsed the rotors, I must have pressured some of the fluid back & ever since my ABS Brake light is on & it is not working. I don't think I bothered a sensor, & I have dis-connected the battery in an effort to remove the message from the computer. No Good. Anybody tell me what I have to do to re-set the ABS; of course I don't have any "Traction Control" either since they share the system.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I'm running a set of Hawk Street Performance pads I picked up from Tirerack. They've been a noticeable improovement over the stockers, with a lot less fade. Still stock rotors no less. Planning on stepping up the rotors do 13 or 15 inchers, depending on what I can fit. Probably the 13's will be plenty. Will quite likely return to these Hawks next time I need pads. Seems like a bit less brake dusting too over the stockers. Now to ditch these damn tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
ShadowLvr400