Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1994 sts
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, a couple of questions about my brakes here. They are starting to sound like the pads are getting low and I can hear what I believe are the scrapers on the rotor. Then tonight as I was leaving the car was and it gave me the TRACTION DISABLED message and the ABS light was on, but I turned the car off and restarted it and it hasn't gave me that yet. So I'm just wondering if maybe that message was just about the pads being very low?

Also, is there a stock sized drilled and/or slotted rotor available for my car? (1994 STS, Z-rated) I remember seeing them on here before, wondering where can I order some?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,012 Posts
Look at EBC Black Dash rotors and Redstuff pads in www.perfectbrakes.com.

Get to EBC's website and surf to rotors and designs. Read up on their recommendations for slotted vs. drilled/dimpled/slotted rotors.

Not sure if your car has pad wear sensors installed, but if you hear squealing that's a wear sign, and if you hear scraping that's an expensive sign.

·
Registered
1994 sts
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well......it never has squealed, and the brakes have always seemed pretty good...a little mushy now and then....hmm...

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
My experience with street driven cars with aftermarket drilled, dimpled, slotted rotors etc is a very good potential for years of brake noise. Wear sensors squeal without brakes applied and the noise quits under light pedal pressure. Grinding as applied can be metal to metal noises or metallic pads. Rather than take the time to post here, you should be under your car looking at the pads and/or having a shop do it. Theres a wealth of info here among us but no eye sight!!

·
Registered
1994 sts
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news everyone. I was washing the car, the scraping had got worse. Looked under the car, and to my avail.....A TREE BRANCH! haha it had been dragging causing the noise! thank goodness I can trust my car again! lol

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Hey, a couple of questions about my brakes here. They are starting to sound like the pads are getting low and I can hear what I believe are the scrapers on the rotor. Then tonight as I was leaving the car was and it gave me the TRACTION DISABLED message and the ABS light was on, but I turned the car off and restarted it and it hasn't gave me that yet. So I'm just wondering if maybe that message was just about the pads being very low?

Also, is there a stock sized drilled and/or slotted rotor available for my car? (1994 STS, Z-rated) I remember seeing them on here before, wondering where can I order some?

That message is displayed first time the traction control should be activated while the calculated rotor temperature is above the “concerning” value (don’t remember the exact value but is a couple hundred degrees). Pay attention to the "calculated" part, means a lot. The car relies not on a sensor but rather on a constant monitoring of the deceleration (how long, how hard) and considering the weight and materials (i.e. the heat dissipation capacity) of the OEM rotors to figure out their temperature.
Aftermarket rotors have different properties from the OEM so the temperature-calculating algorithm will not be accurate. Not recommended!
Since T/C uses brakes too along with the injectors selective shut down, that will add more heat to the rotors so to avoid that is disabled and you are warn with the message. Giving the time and the less aggressive driving the calculated temperature will fall below the threshold and your TC will be back (providing the situation). Not sure if you are notified when T/C is available again.
As I mentioned many times, this car is a round package. Makes you think how much care was put into its design, aftermarket breaks this balance.
By the way what you were doing to the poor car when you got the message?

·
Registered
1994 sts
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol i was just leaving a car wash when it gave me the message! i baby the car and the brakes are fine the scraping noise was a branch if you read my previous post, lol. I'll maybe get the brakes replaced pretty quick anyway but it's good to know the brakes aren't what's scraping.

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
Try to replace the pads before the wear sensors are consumed - they cannot be reused. They used to be included with the new (AC Delco) pads but they no longer are (at Rock Auto). The new sensors are about $16 apiece.

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe
821 Posts
Am I the only one wondering why it took this guy _11_ days to figure out a tree branch was lodged under his car some way?
People sure are LAZY. Imagine if it was his actual pads and they were on the fritz, a seized caliper is no fun to replace!
I know I am all over ANY noises my car randomly starts making the minute I hear them.
To the OP, cars tend to last longer when you fix problem situations immediately. :)

·
Registered
1994 sts
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol, I work 6 days out of the week, and I drive my truck to work, I never drove the car long distances while it was scraping, I also looked at the pads after I posted and they all showed ok. I still plan on replacing them soon but im glad they weren't what was casuing the noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts