Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 1991 Cadillac Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 L V8 RWD and I'm having brake issues. I've narrowed to down to the brake proportioning valve which part number is Kelsey Hayes 10994901. The only issue is that this part is IMPOSSIBLE to find. I've already purchased and returned multiple parts and have had no luck searching scrapyards. Does anyone know any alternatives or fixes? or does anyone have this part for sale or a rebuild kit? The brake system works fine, but fluid just is not getting to the rear brakes because of this faulty valve. If anyone can help you will be a life-saver.

Thanks

·
1996 Fleetwood hearse
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Superior Coach Hearse Conversion
207 Posts
Hello,

I have a 1991 Cadillac Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 L V8 RWD and I'm having brake issues. I've narrowed to down to the brake proportioning valve which part number is Kelsey Hanes 10994901. The only issue is that this part is IMPOSSIBLE to find. I've already purchased and returned multiple parts and have had no luck searching scrapyards. Does anyone know any alternatives or fixes? or does anyone have this part for sale or a rebuild kit? The brake system works fine, but fluid just is not getting to the rear brakes because of this faulty valve. If anyone can help you will be a life-saver.

Thanks
Check Rock Auto by vehicle not part number. I've noticed sometimes the part numbers get changed even on newer vehicles. My daughter recently bumped another vehicle in her 2008 Escape and I started looking up parts. One of the parts had a manufacturer part number that went nowhere but was clearly cast into the part. You can also check Summit or Jegs as they carry parts for these old Caddies. What I suggest you do is check your rear brake lines as they do rust and will clog up, preventing fluid to reach the rear. Dot3 brake fluid, as it heats and cools will absorb water. That is what makes it turn from clear to a dark color and why you should purge the brakes every couple of years. What I'd do is take the line off at the distribution block at the rear axle and at the front, then wrap a towel to catch the fluid at the rear of the main line. I would then take an air compressor and blow air through the line from the front to rear to make sure the line is clear. After that I would work from the distribution line to each wheel. I've never seen proportion valves go bad but they do make the adjustable ones if yours is truly bad. Also when looking for the valve, if it is bad, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and Buick big bodies pretty much used the same parts so you may find one from another GM line. My 96 Fleetwood Funeral Coach is basically the same as a Roadmaster or Caprice/Impala. Here is a link for proportion valves: Brake Proportioning Valves & Balance Bars | Combination | JEGS

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,758 Posts
A search I did shows Kelsey Hayes manufacturer part number 109949011033BAF147. But I didn't find any with a search.
Odd because part number 10994901 doesn't get found on GM Wiki Parts and I thought that website had the parts catalog for the year and model. Let me look at the GM parts catalog I have.

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,758 Posts
I sure don't find a proportioning valve in the parts diagram. I presume you are talking about the part down near the steering box where the brake lines from a valve box exit from. The parts catalog has 3523948 for it, The only other valve I see is near the master brake cylinder in the diagram. I looked in the parts section where 3523948 is at thinking maybe it is composed of multiple parts but I don't see that break down of parts.

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,758 Posts
If it is the valve near the master cylinder the parts catalog shows this
RPO option code J41 cast iron brake system 25509419
RPO optoin code JM4 antilock system 3523170
RPO option code J55 heavy duty brakes 18008085

Ah this is the proportioning valve so I see when I search ebay on 25509419.

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,758 Posts
This came up when I searched on 3523170. I sure didn't find any sellers of it. The solution possibly in this forum thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts