Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took car to dealer today to look at the emergency brake. E brake hold when car is in reverse, but when car is in drive the E brake won't hold. They looked at it and told me that the car was driven with the E brake on and this has caused the brake pads to glaze and warp the rotors. I stated that there is an alarm that can't be egnored if you try to do this. Then that stated that I must have been riding the brakes down hill. I live in the desert and there are little if no hill to climb or decend. The car is only three years old and has just 30K on the odometer. The car seems to stop just fine when I apply the brakes and there is no vibration in the stearing that would imply that the rotors are warped. Any thoughts? Anyone else experience this?

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
You might just need to have the parking brake adjusted. Driving with the parking brake on wouldn't hurt your pads or rotors- there is a seperate drum brake inside your rear rotor that might be worn if this happened.

·
Registered
2004 CTS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They (dealer) stated that they tried to adjust the parking brake, but the car still move when you put the car in drive at idle.

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
How did they adjust it? I had a similar issue and they told me to pull the release and pump the e-brake 3 times. I did. It didn't help. So I took it in & they made some sort of adjustment & I haven't have an issue since.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
The emergency brake looks like a smaller version of the od drum brakes. At one time mine were to tight. By removing the rotor you can see this assembly. There is an adjustment wheel that you can adjust the drum pads inward. The inside of the rotor housing is the drum portion of the brake. PITA but not to difficult.

B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts