Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS 2013 XTS
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I've been here. I have a 2012 CTS Lux and a 2013 XTS Lux. The CTS is usually the car I take to work, and my wife drives the XTS.
Lately I've been switching back and forth the car I take to work. Ever since I've been driving the XTS, I noticed how smooth the braking is.
The pedals are smooth, and they press in with little effort. My CTS however, feels.... like it sits behind a spring. I have to put a lot more effort into braking. Almost like trying to put a spring trap down.
Now, when I do lay into the brakes, it WILL stop. It stops. But if I'm ever fatigued, I don't get the best stopping distance. I even noticed this when I was driving my old 05' CTS and this '12 CTS. My 05 wasn't that stressful on the legs to stop.
My XTS has Brembo brakes on the front 2 wheels. My '12 CTS has the small dinky brakes on all wheels. I was thinking maybe I should put bigger brakes on my front 2 wheels,
but i don't know if that will relieve the pressure it takes to press on the pedals.

I don't know guys. Should I get bigger brakes? Adjust the brake pedals itself? Change the brake booster?

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts
I agree for my '09 with JE5. As you point out the stopping power is there and I'd characterize the braking feel as precise and linear. Maybe good for the track, but it means the usual moderate speed/distance stops around town require more pedal effort than expected. In principle larger brakes could reduce pedal effort, but depends on calipers, booster, software? etc. For day-to-day, I could imagine a 'non-linear' setup that would put a larger range of braking power in lower pedal effort region, maybe even 'speed-sensitive'. I don't know if modern hydraulic brakes are 'programmable' in this way (would be easy with electric brakes) In the meantime, just stand on 'em :=)

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
As an easy first step, you should check your brake fluid level. It could be low or you might have air in the system too.

Is your car under the bumper to bumper warranty? If so, a trip to your dealer would help too.

Marv

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
457 Posts
I think you might have better luck with a performance pad. I'd try that first as it's far lest costly and it's easy to do.

·
Registered
1993 Deville, 2005 cts 3.6L, 2009 cts 3.6, 2010 srx
107 Posts
my brakes feel the same way in my 09 cts with 50,000 miles, i also have a 91 deville, 05 cts and 06 sts, and the brakes are extra sensitive, you barely have to tap them but my newer model brakes work great, but I just have to press on them harder than i normally do on my other cadillacs, i figured it was just the way newer car brakes felt , but now you have me wondering

·
Registered
3.6 rwd premium2009 cts
670 Posts
ye the brakes are good but requires a lot of pressure from the pedal,definitely a thing to improve on the cts.

·
Registered
3.6 rwd premium2009 cts
670 Posts
i bled the brakes and changed fluid,the difference is huge.
should done properly tho it makes all the difference.

·
Registered
2009 CTS
118 Posts
The pads they used on the 2nd gen CTS seem to be a little softer and more quiet material vs what came on my 1st gen CTS. If you want better brakes change the brake pads and bleed the brake system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts