Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it hard to change front brake pads and possibly rotors on a 1988 brougham?. I am considering buying a the car,seller says it has a 305,my book shows these have the 307. thanks.

·
Registered
1985 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'elegance - 1969 Coupe DV (R.I.P.)
655 Posts
actually its fairly easy. did the same thing on my 4x4 and luckily you wont have to worry about locking hubs!:bighead: SUCH a pain

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,837 Posts
Easy job. Lots of good guides on the web for step-by-step (or buy a cheap Chiltons manual). I guess I can tell you a bit...

You'll need a big C clamp to compress the piston back into the bore to make room for the new pads (take the cover of the MC off, and turn SLOW, you may need to remove some fluid if it has been topped up). You will need the appropriate size (I forget) socket with a allen head to get the caliper off. Use channel locks to get the nut off the rotor after cutting the cotter pin. While you are picking up pads and rotors, buy new rear rotor seals, wheel bearing grease, and a couple of new cotter pins. Also, two or three cans of aerosol brake cleaner and a tube of anti-squeal. Once the old rotors are off, get the old bearings out of the rotors (front and back from both sides). Clean completely. Repack with grease using CLEAN hands. Place the rear bearing in the rotor, then tap the seal in place. I like to use a hockey puck as a seal install tool. Works perfect. A piece of 2x4 works fine, too. Clean the spindle and put a thin layer of grease on the shiny part. Pack the front bearing, put in place, and put the washer in front. Slide the whole loaded rotor assembly into place. You will need to make sure the front (outer) bearing is in place - they always move when you slide the rotor on. Run the nut down. Once it starts to get a little tight by hand, start turning the rotorby hand. Keep tightening with the channel locks and turning until you feel a bit of drag. Then, back off the nut to the first cotter pin hole. Put in the pin, bend it so it won't come out. Tap the cover into place. Coat the back of the pads with anti-squeal compound, and put them in place. It is wise to bend the ear tabs so the pads don't move (most garages don't bother - this is why brakes squeak even when new). Make sure the caliper is sliding freely on the pins (remove, clean, grease if needed). Reinstall caliper, torquing appropriately. Install wheel, torque wheel nuts to 100ft-lbs by hand.

Enjoy your new brake job.
HTH
Jason.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
305 takes oil in the valve cover; 307 has an oil spout in front of the intake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts