Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while but I'm still around!

I've had this happen 3 times now. After a wash then pulled in garage then later driving the left front caliper pads seems to have surface rusted fast to the rotor. The car is stuck. Even giving it some gas it just plows the locked wheel, the POPS free. I suppose I should drive after a wash. This last time I did and it still happened only to a much lesser degree. I now also notice a slight pulsation when braking now from the front. Only when braking. I bend a rotor? Why can not park the darn thing with wet rotors? What about when it rains? Remedy?

Thanks team V !

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Anytime I let my V sit for more than a few days, when I next went to drive it, you could hear the brakes popping free. Though, I never had it actually drag a locked up wheel like that. Something there isn't right. I would guess the pulsation is due to brake pad residue fused into the rotor. Pulsing brakes is more often due to that than warp-age.

If it were me I would start by changing all the pads. Are they the originals? Maybe some weird substance got transferred to your brakes from the road.

·
Registered
2010 Thunder Gray 6MT
2,122 Posts
Mine does the same thing with the OEM pads and rotors and with my current GM Drilled rotors with HPS pads. It's really odd...I've never experienced any vehicle like it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it does not drag, but close to it.pads have less than 3K on them and rotors are original, and car has only 33K. once free, alls good, except minor pulse from front which only started after first pop free.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,111 Posts
Go do a real hard stop, or a few of them, and that should clear up the pulsation.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, how about prevention of the sticking?

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,175 Posts
i have not had that happen to my car, even when surface rust is visible after sitting outside in the raid for a week.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,111 Posts
When I wash mine I do get a sticking but have never dragged a tire and I've washed it and put it away before. I have HPS pads and drilled rotors. Maybe see if the outer (or inner) circumference has an excessive amount of unswept area/buildup that could be causing the problem. Or a caliper piston is starting to stick.

·
Registered
Cadillac
81 Posts
This happens to my brakes every time they get wet, either rain or when washed. They stick, but pop free when I give a small amount of gas and roll forward or backward. I have been through four sets of pads and 3 sets of rotors and it has always happened.

Robert

G

·
This happens to me often also. The next morning after it rains they pop free. It has done this with stock pads and HP+'s.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
but has anyone had a wheel lockup like the OP? Stuck pads are normal. Happened on my V, and on my MR2. Never like his though.

·
Registered
04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
1,781 Posts
it does not drag, but close to it.pads have less than 3K on them and rotors are original, and car has only 33K. once free, alls good, except minor pulse from front which only started after first pop free.
but has anyone had a wheel lockup like the OP? Stuck pads are normal. Happened on my V, and on my MR2. Never like his though.
I think he just originally described his issue with to much enthusiasm.

Mine too stick for a moment after washing or driving in the rain. Although I don't remember them doing it always....

·
Registered
04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
1,781 Posts

·
Registered
07 Black CTS-V
136 Posts
Mine does the same thing....after driving in the rain or letting it sit a few days. Il have to give it some gas and then they pop free.....dunno wut i have for pads and rotors though, dealership replaced them under warranty because the rotors warped. I dont recall if it did this when it had OEM pads and rotors.....didnt have it long enough.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
897 Posts
Further confirmation that mine stick like that too. Just like everyone else, they break free with a little acceleration and a loud release pop/bang.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks guys... my "enthusiasm" was in the anticipation of the massive bang when the free up. (no need for big jim to jump in)..not a pop. I had this happen for the first time in my 2 years of ownership about a month ago and since then I get the minor pulsation from the front brakes when stopping. My fear was in braking a caliper or hub or bending something important - like my hopes and dreams.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
thanks guys... my "enthusiasm" was in the anticipation of the massive bang when the free up. (no need for big jim to jump in)..not a pop. I had this happen for the first time in my 2 years of ownership about a month ago and since then I get the minor pulsation from the front brakes when stopping. My fear was in braking a caliper or hub or bending something important - like my hopes and dreams.
I think new pads are your only choice. Other than that live with it. That seems to be the consensus.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts