Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
09 Cadillac CTS V
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an E Mail from Hawk Perfomance today detailing their new Pads for the '09 CTS-V's -

New Pads are now available for ordering. Part numbers are as follows:

• HB581F.605 for HPS front brake compound. (HP Plus brake pad compound is ideal for Autocross and Track Day)
  • HB581N.605 is the HP Plus for the front. (Performance/Street compound with less and less brake dust.)

Hawk doesn't have the rear pads ready yet. It will take about 90 days until they are ready.

You should be able to order the fronts through either Tire Rack or Summit Racing. You will most likely have to call them and have them add the numbers to their system since they are new.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, Thunder Gray, Auto
221 Posts
That is great news about Hawk Brake pads.

Is the description backwards?
HP Plus is for the autocross/track and club events
HPS is for the street with low dust

I was looking for a set of pads for the track and wondering when they would be available.

Thanks for the update.

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
1,371 Posts
Silver - thanks for that info. Really looking forward to the Hawk pads, (rears also), after spending a couple of hours this afternoon cleaning my wheels, and putiing a new coat of Eagle Keep Wheel Clean on them. I'm hoping with the Hawks, I won't have to do that as often ...

Rob

·
Registered
Escalade, STS
34 Posts
Im still really confused with the whole HPS pads, and Ceramic, etc etc.. looks like there is a wide variety.. basically what im looking at is, i go to quite a lot of track days, i have one coming up in 2 weeks.. its at the YAS Marina Circuit where the last Formula 1 race was ... its a circuit which really uses a lot of braking, and kind of fries them..

which one would you recommend for me to use??

if your interested in seeing the Yas Marina circuit, just google it, quite impressive facilities :D

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Get HP+. Unless you're running R compounds. Then you'll want their more advanced compounds...

·
Registered
09 Cadillac CTS V
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are running 1 track event per month, and the car is your daily driven vehicle, buy the HPS, if you go to the track more than once per month, go with the HP+.

As Jim mentions, if you are running R compound tires, you should call Hawk and get pads for the track, and change them out for street driving to the HPS. Keep 2 sets of pads for a lot of track days.

FYI - The HPS pads don't have the initial bite the Bremebo stock pads have. You will notice this on the track, but after they hook in, you will notice they are very easy to modulate and work nearly identical to the Brembo pad.

The HP+ pads have more bite, and less fade than the stock pads. The trade-off is more wear, more dust and shorter rotor life. Even on our heavy cars, this pad works really well.

If you have R Compound tires, you may want a more aggressive pad, but I don't recommend using the more aggressive pad on the street in a Cadillac. Your Brakes will squeal, Dust will fly everywhere, and it will take 20 minutes for the pads to come up to operating temperature on the street.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V
231 Posts
I tried the Hawk HPS and was not impressed. I could not tell a difference in the brake feel. I was looking for better response on the initial 'tip-in' so I also upgraded to braided lines at the same time.

I just finished installing some Cabontech brakes and my first impression is a slightly improved braking experience with little or no difference in 'tip-in.' Oh well...

I think that's about all I am going to do with the brakes on this car. There is plenty of braking power I just don't like the initial feel of the pedal. That was the thing I missed most in switching from my M6 to the V. If anybody wants to try the carbon tech I can give you my contact on them.

·
Registered
09 Silver V 06 Silver Z06
1,918 Posts
yeah i do not like the pedal feel really either compared to my z06. sad to hear stainless lines did not help out or different pads

·
Registered
09 CTSV
50 Posts
Then get HP+...
The only downside is the operating heat ranges for these pads, they are less then ideal for a guy daily driving the car. The first time you lay on the brakes and there is no heat in the compound you will defiantly get your heart going.

The HPS are nice, they really aren't going to give you a ton of improvement, but will hold up better under consistent braking efforts.

The HP+ give more bite, once they have some heat in them, and less fade, but will be dusty and wear faster.

The HP blues are the next step up for serious racers, looking to install a pad at the track, these are not street pads.

The ceramics are best for those whom want a lower dust, non acidic pad that doesn't make your wheels look like you haven't washed them every 30 miles of use.

I have all of these pads for sale, and we have them arriving next week on our stock order.

Here is a link to order these products directly if you are in the market.
http://www.ipsmotorsports.net/index.php?cPath=3543_3561_3582_3921_3922

We will be increasing inventory on all the products for this car as they come available.

Regards
-Brandon
http://www.ipsmotorsports.net

·
Registered
Cadillac
41 Posts
I hope Ferodo or someone else gets them out soon. Hawk have never performed well for me at all and are a bit pricey. I've always had terrible luck with the HPS and HP+ pads. Noisy, dusty as hell and didn't really perform any better than stock pads on the Brembo setups.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
The only downside is the operating heat ranges for these pads, they are less then ideal for a guy daily driving the car. The first time you lay on the brakes and there is no heat in the compound you will defiantly get your heart going.
That's lawyer speak, right thurr. They might need a few milliseconds to heat up enough, but it's nowhere near a regular pad that's cold and wet. I ran HP+ in all temp ranges, all the way down into the 20s in ambient temp. Never an issue.

As for the blue compounds, I loved them. Maybe not as aggressive as some other race pads, but they still pulled your eyeballs out and were easy on the rotors...

·
Registered
09 CTSV
50 Posts
That's lawyer speak, right thurr. They might need a few milliseconds to heat up enough, but it's nowhere near a regular pad that's cold and wet. I ran HP+ in all temp ranges, all the way down into the 20s in ambient temp. Never an issue.

As for the blue compounds, I loved them. Maybe not as aggressive as some other race pads, but they still pulled your eyeballs out and were easy on the rotors...
HA, I do see what you mean. But better to be apprehensive then arrogant the first time you lay on the brakes, before you tag someone in the rear ;)!

Brandon

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V
231 Posts
As an update, after three days on the road and properly seating the brakes; I am seeing some improvement on the "tip in" response. I would say that investing in a set of very sticky brake pads is worth the effort, although more brake noise has resulted (as expected).

I am sure the Hawk racing pads would meet my needs but a friend recommended the Carbon Tech pads. I can not comment on durability yet but I was a little disappointed that they do not come with wear indicators. I'll just have to keep a close eye on them.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts