Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the search button as well as the sticky section and didn't see any diy for brake pads replacement. what pads do you guys use? oem or aftermarket? thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,455 Posts
Much will depend on driving style and application. I'm not a spirited driver when it comes to my Cadillacs and I don't pull anything, therefore I use a ceramic pad. Factory until they wear out then generally will switch to Wagoner.

·
Registered
07 Cadillac Escalade
155 Posts
MrHolland said:
Much will depend on driving style and application. I'm not a spirited driver when it comes to my Cadillacs and I don't pull anything, therefore I use a ceramic pad. Factory until they wear out then generally will switch to Wagoner.
Does ceramic shed alot of break dust?

·
Registered
07 Escalade EXT
92 Posts
I took a shot and used the ebay specials. All four wheels, pads and rotors I want to say was like $200 bucks for slotted rotors and decent pads. I do drive fairly aggressively and they've brought me to a stop in a hurry without too much grief. Can't speak to dusting, my rims are black and it gets washed regularly. Thus far I've been happy but it's only been about 6 months since I put them on.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade
511 Posts
There is a vendor on here... i cant remember his name for the life of me... but I know he has some good dicussions on rotors, whether you should go for slotted or holed, and why to stay away from the combo... when mine are due i think i will go for a bigger brake upgrade myself.

·
Registered
2016 Range Rover V8 SC ... 2015 Corvette Z06/Z07
923 Posts
All feedback I've heard about R1 concepts has been very good.

I would advise anyone against Hawk pads. They are great for a month or two, but I had them installed on my Yukon Denali after the OE pads went, and they started squeaking something terrible within FOUR months of purchase. And yes they were installed and 'broken in' properly. I can track down which version Hawk pads they were if someone wants me to. But in my experience they were a complete waste of time and money.

----------

They were HWK-HB561Z-710 (front) and HWK-HB568Z-666 (rear).

·
Registered
2010 Escalade
310 Posts
R1 Concepts has great stuff. Had cross drilled/slotted rotors and pads on my range rover! Loved them. Very solid and would def buy from them again

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the responses! how about sticking to oem? I think I have only 5mm left in the front and 10 mm rears. How do I know if it is time to change? Does it send a warning light or just the usual generic squeel? Is the oem ceramic? What is the oem's generic brand? thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Range Rover V8 SC ... 2015 Corvette Z06/Z07
923 Posts
I know that there's an AC Delco version of the OEM ones, but after my Hawk pads went I just went to the dealer's parts dept. and bought the GM oem ones. Honestly, in my observation although they might not be the ones with the best performance specs, they are built well and meant to last over 30k miles without so much as a squeak. So unless I decide to BBK it, from now on it's oem pads for me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
AC Delco Ceramic just waiting to get them to installed them first time i tryed duralast ceramic and they where good from autozone just want to try something else

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
79 Posts
I just went with the hawk LTS pads. So far squeak and noise free for over a year on the back. Just installed some on the front yesterday and no noise yet. They stop really really well. When I put them on only on the back you can feel when the back brakes started to engage when braking.

Problem is I went with dimpled and slotted EBC rotors on the back when I changed the pads and I am not impressed with the wear on them. They create grooves like a record on the contact patch. Not a smooth contact patch finish like you normally see. Also the rust look in the dimples and slots is really ugly in my opinion and nothing can stop that.

So on the front I went with centric premiums blank rotors and will see if it is the pads or rotors are the cause. If it is the rotors which I am sure it is then I will change out the rear EBCs to the blanks as well and sell the EBC rotors. The EBCs probably need a harder ceramic type pad or the EBC pads.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac Escalade Base
380 Posts
I've always used slotted rotors and can vouch for R1 concepts producing great products however I think i'm going to start using cross drilled rotors instead from now on. Every slotted rotor i've used seems to wear down brake pads and produce more dust than they should. I ran R1 concepts slotted rotors and EBC redstuff pads on my 2006 chrysler 300c and I was never able to get them to stop making noises when braking and I did properly seat them in after installation, and after months the noise was still there.

My brakes were pretty bad when I first got my 07' escalade so I decided to just go with oem rotors and ac delco ceramic pads and I couldn't be happier. Once I save up enough for the next brake job i'm going with R1 concepts cross drilled rotors with the black centers which looks great installed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts