Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen i own a 2000 seville sls and i just recently changed the bake pads. the change brake pads warning still appears on the screen. How do i reset this problem. Thank u

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
If you had the warning before changing the pads, and did not install new sensors, you will continue to get that warning.

If you dont want to buy new sensors, you can simply cut off the broken end of the used sensor and solder the two wires together, the car is simply looking for a closed circuit. If you go this route, be aware as the "warning" will not come up again before you trash your rotors because the pad material is gone. I'm pretty sure the inside pads (OEM) do not have a "squeeler" since they normally have the sensor installed, so you would have to keep an eye on them and replace the pads before they wear out.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,012 Posts
Yep ^^^^ The sensors slide into an indent in the brake pad and, when the pad wears, the sensor is ground down to an open circuit. The things aren't too expensive but not cheap - either install new ones for peace of mind or use STSS' warning - keep an eye on your pads. No sense trashing a rotor although the possibility is slim now that you have some idea of how long pads last in your car..........

·
Registered
NONE
9 Posts
Is it possible insert a new sensor after the pads have been installed or do they need to come out? Second, is there a sensor on both sides?

Thanks,
tom

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,545 Posts
There is a sensor on each wheel. You might be able to install it without pulling the pads.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
10 Posts
There is only one sensor per wheel. It clips onto the brake caliber or one of the pads (can't remember) and wears down to nothing from both sides; once it gets to a certain point the circuit braks and you get a message. To install a new sensor you have to only remove the wheel and clip in the snsor without removing the pads. Be sure to track the wire through the appropriate clips and finally to the harness. It's really easy and shouldn't take too long...

The sensors are also made by raybestos and cost a little less than ac/delco. They look like they came from the same factory, though...

If you choose not to install them, then be aware that your pads do not have the wear clips on the ends and will NOT squeel when worn...It's best to just pay the nominal fee for the sensors and not worry.

Tom.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think you have to pull the caliper to install the new sensor... There is only a sensor on the inside pad... outside pad has a conventional squealer.... though I've yet to use up half of the outside pads on any STS I've owned/driven/worked on.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It's best to just pay the nominal fee for the sensors and not worry.
Tom.
With cars this old, the tires should be off more than often enough to figure out when your pads will need replaced. Also, the OEM pad sensors break way too early in my opinion.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
10 Posts
If I recall corectly, the sensor has a metal outer casing with 2 little loops on the end. Use long needle nose plyers, gently squeeze the to protruding loops and pull outwards the sensor on each wheel. Reversse for the new sensor and make sure it's seated in position; it is simply held in place by the compression of the metal outter casing to the brake indentation....

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac Seville STS
43 Posts
bc6t correctly outlined how to replace a brake pad wear sensor w/ the caliper still on the vehicle. I have done it this way (I broke a sensor when installing new pads and installed it later). NAPA sells sensors for $25 each. You dealer will sell them too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts