Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1998 catera
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 catera ..the brake pad sensor light is continously on. I checked the pad wear and it still has almost .500 thickness. The specs call for minimun wear at .375. Could it be anything other than the brake pad?

Also I noticed that the sensor wire doesn't go anywhere near the brake caliper so i'm wondering how does it know the pads are worn? I heard you can cut the wires and jumper them to cancel the warning light, will this work and affect anything else?

Thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
brake pad sensor sits behind the brake-pads. it is a white plastic connected to a black wire. if you don't see it behind the pads, or around the caliper, most likely that is the reason why you're getting that light.

·
Registered
1998 catera
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response.

There is a two wire white plastic connector that sits on each of the inside of the wheel wells. The wires go into a small block mounted with one allan screw on the iside if the brake assembly across from the calipers.

I thought this might be the sensor so i disconnected the 2 pin connector and jumpered them, but in additon to having the brake pad sensor light stay on , the ABS light also came on.

I've taken out the pads and i don't see any sensor mounted on them and there are no wires going directly to the calipers. If i do replace the pads , even thought they still look good, do i also have to replace the sensors?

Thanks again

·
Registered
535 Posts
i got new brakes on my 98 better ones that did not have sensors and the way i turned the light off is removed the instrument cluster and took out the bulb -problem solved ha ha check the forum for instrument cluster removal and its pretty easy good luck !

·
Registered
535 Posts
you can buy new sensors and oem brakes but they are a lil expensive stay away from cadillac parts if you can find another brand that is the same part check www.rockauto.com or autozone or summitracing.com best of luck again

·
Registered
Catera 98
418 Posts
Myself, I cut the brake pad sensors off, connected the 2 ends, and sealed everything... honestly: we don't need a 20$ sensor (plastic and brass pipe and 2 wires) to tell us when to change our pads... do we? I have my brakes inspected regularly instead...

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Thanks for your response.

There is a two wire white plastic connector that sits on each of the inside of the wheel wells. The wires go into a small block mounted with one allan screw on the iside if the brake assembly across from the calipers.

I thought this might be the sensor so i disconnected the 2 pin connector and jumpered them, but in additon to having the brake pad sensor light stay on , the ABS light also came on.

I've taken out the pads and i don't see any sensor mounted on them and there are no wires going directly to the calipers. If i do replace the pads , even thought they still look good, do i also have to replace the sensors?

Thanks again
i don't know which wire you grounded, but Brake Pad Sensors don't have anything to do with the ABS light. You may have just d/c the ABS sensor.
Like I had said earlier, the Brake pad sensor is a white plastic that sits behind yoru brake-pads, and has a wire coming out of it, if you don't see that sitting behind your brake-pads, then that's what is causing the light to come on.
who ever did your brakes, took out the sensors and threw 'em away because they probably broke 'em.
you can either buy the sensors, they're about $20 USD each, or you can just ignore the light and/or block it out like Peetyz suggested.

·
Registered
Cadillac
25 Posts
Yeah~ I have a 1998 catera... And seriously I suggest to connect the originals - (ABS) brakepad sensors or buy new ones. I did, and installed them myself - for just under $100. Its best to have them connected, not just to turn off the dash ABS light or engine check light... (I was told) it does affect your ABS - because the brakepad sensors communicate to the EBTCM (electronic brake/traction control module)! In other words, you'll only have manual braking without the brakpad sensors connected ~ so I experienced *.
Enz

·
Registered
97 Catera
31 Posts
enz, your incorrect. someone saw you comin from a mile away....its a brake wear sensor..your abs doesnt care how thick your pads are....pad thickness will not affect the way your abs operates...unless of coarse youve worn them through to the backing plate and have no pads...but your abs module does not change the way your brakes operate based on how thick your pads are...

·
Registered
Cadillac
25 Posts
TY for the correction. I was told by the dealership the pad sensors affect the ABS because the brakepad sensors communicate to the EBTCM directly, and therefore affects the ABS, when not connected.
Enz - stands corrected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts