Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I drive a Cadillac SRX from 2005. This week i changed ther rear brakepads. After installing the pads I noticed that at the rear left wheel the breakpad is stuck on the disk. The caliper and disk got really, really hot.
At the garage we removed and cleaned the caliper and cylinder. Still the same problem. Now I ordered a 2nd hand caliper (64.000 klmtrs where driven with it) and installed it. Well... still the same issue.
I don't know what to do anymore. Does anyone has experience with this issue also? My garage is dsaying we could replace the brake ducts (and change brake fluid/oil) because maybe it is it is clogged with dirt.
I thought it could have something to do with the brake force Distributior (hope this is the right word in english...).
I really appreciate your comments. thanks a lot!

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts

You could have a bad Brake Pressure Modulator Valve. Thats located front right wheel behind the fender liner on the frame, or the brakes were not properly bled, just a guess, but from what your saying the pad is just not returning to position after applying the brake, which could indicate a bad caliper piston, but you say you changed that for a used one (still does not mean the used was in good shape) if it is then like the guide below says there must be some restriction for the fluid to release after applying the brake.

Determine if the brake caliper is restricting the flow of brake fluid and/or not operating properly:

Raise and support the vehicle.
Remove the tire and wheel assemblies.
Open the suspected caliper bleeder valve.
Using a large C-clamp, compress the caliper piston and observe for an unrestricted flow of brake fluid and for free movement of the caliper piston.
Close the caliper bleeder valve.
Was the flow of brake fluid unrestricted and did the caliper piston move freely?

Yes-Inspect the hydraulic brake pipes and flexible brake hoses for signs of a fluid restriction; such as being bent, kinked, pinched or damaged. Refer to Brake Pipe and Hose Inspection .
Replace any of the hydraulic brake pipes and/or flexible brake hoses found to be bent, kinked, pinched or damaged. Refer to the following procedures as necessary:
• Front Brake Hose Replacement
• Brake Intermediate Hose Replacement
• Rear Brake Hose Replacement
• Brake Pipe Replacement
If none of the hydraulic brake pipes or flexible brake hoses were visibly bent, kinked, pinched or damaged, replace the hydraulic brake flex hose at the restricted location.

No- Repair or replace any brake caliper that was not operating properly

I hope Glake steps in for you, he is better at this then me

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello,
I´ve the same problem with my SRX in the last year...
It was cylinder in the caliper and with oil and moving in and out, the cylinder goes corect.
If the brake pressure modulator is demage ist is not after a brake pad change...

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
OK, I'm guessing it was the inner pad. Are the rotors still in good shape? Sounds like the caliper mounting pins are at least sticky. Cheap to replace, tough to repair. Consider rebuilt caliper assembly, includes bracket, pins etc., ~$60.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
687 Posts
Excellent advice so far here, also on an S-10 pickup I had this issue and the flex hose actually collapsed internally and acted as a check valve holding residual pressure on the piston. I did not believe this was physically possible, but took a pro's advice and that fixed it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all of you for great replies. Appreciate it!
Since it could be a lot of things as mentioned by SRX93, i took the car to the garage. I hope to come back to you asap to tell you the solution for this issue. Thanks guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts