Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
250 Posts
My Hawk's looked like the Wagner's. My stock one's were flat (like Wagners) when I pulled them, but that could have been wear I suppose.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I don't know why one is tapered back like that, but go for the one with most surface contact RIGHT MEOW!

·
Registered
11 V Coupe, 05 V Mod'd, 91 Fatboy,98 Ultra classic, 07 Tahoe
383 Posts
That chamfer is there to reduce or eliminate noise, go NAPA! "Get the good stuff" looks like NAPA's have a higher carbon content(again noise reduction), also helps epoxy gas, a NAPA brake rep once told me that they have a high end or hi heat resistant epoxy that holds all the pad material together(last longer).

Where's Tommy Callahan when you need him?, best line ever from tommy boy..."you could stick your head up a bulls ass to see if your getting a good steak, or just take your butcher word for it" I'm thinking I might be off a bit on it but you get the idea. Second best is the pool scene...haha great show anyway.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,332 Posts
As stated, the beveled pad is intended to help with pad noise. The Stoptech Street Performance pads are heavily tapered (like the NAPA pads in the pics).

It shouldn't matter in the slightest for street performance purposes - I'm sure either one will work just fine.

·
Registered
'05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys
1,070 Posts
Chamfer'ing a pad is for noise reduction, since you'll never have a rough edge as the rotor turns close to it. Meh...

Are either of these pads near stock performance? Just buy some Hawk HP+ and be done with it.

·
Registered
05 V
103 Posts
That chamfer is there to reduce or eliminate noise, go NAPA! "Get the good stuff" looks like NAPA's have a higher carbon content(again noise reduction), also helps epoxy gas, a NAPA brake rep once told me that they have a high end or hi heat resistant epoxy that holds all the pad material together(last longer).

Where's Tommy Callahan when you need him?, best line ever from tommy boy..."you could stick your head up a bulls ass to see if your getting a good steak, or just take your butcher word for it" I'm thinking I might be off a bit on it but you get the idea. Second best is the pool scene...haha great show anyway.
This is hilarious- I am watching Tommy Boy as we speak.

I have had good luck with Hawk HP+

·
Registered
CTS-V
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are either of these pads near stock performance? Just buy some Hawk HP+ and be done with it.
I installed the Napa UP in the front only. They seem to bite harder than what was up there and they were almost at the wear indicator. Still running stock pads in back.

·
Registered
11 V Coupe, 05 V Mod'd, 91 Fatboy,98 Ultra classic, 07 Tahoe
383 Posts
^^^^Good to know, keep us posted as those pads are very affordable.

·
Registered
CTS-V
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^^Good to know, keep us posted as those pads are very affordable.
Few things to add.
1. I reused the metal shim that goes on the OE pad...the napa ones came with diagonal cut ones that I didnt like as much. They were kinda like this
990322-200613.jpg
2. I am not sure the front pads were OE. I didnt look too thoroughly, but when i looked at the rear pads it was pretty plain and simple to see they were OE (brembo print and ferrio) which the front pads didnt have this.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I wish you the best of luck with the NAPA pads, but I am skeptical regarding the stopping power of any brake pad that sacrifices what appears to be about half of its pad-to-rotor contact surface area to noise control (the bevel).

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero
1,646 Posts
Don't use either of those. You have a performance car. Come on...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts