Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of weeks ago I climbed in my 2005 CTS-V and the brake fluid low light came on. Sure enough, the brake pedal went all the way to floor. Owned the car since new, but live pretty close the ocean. Turns out it is not a simple leak but the sign of rust throughout the lines.

Unfortunately GM stopped making the lines - not the hoses that can be found aftermarket and new, but the lines from the ABS out to the brakes. I can't find anyone that makes them or has them.

Any chance someone from GM is still monitoring the forum and can help me get the specs so I can have them made up and not have to do it one by one while extracting them from the car? Since GM no longer makes the part it would not seem this is competition, but there does not seem to even be a way to buy the specs.

Searched the forum a few times but have not found any relevant info.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See attached.
thanks darkman,

Your attachment covers what we have started doing, and boy is it painful given the extent of the rust. Pretty much have to replace them all since if they are not leaking now they are close enough that it should get done while we are in there.

I was hoping to get something from GM that defined all the lengths, turns etc so we could have the pipes/lines made up somewhere.

Hopefully being in TX you have not experienced the same rust issues I have here in the northeast. I use it as a daily driver through snow, etc, and parts of the car are just not built for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Join the club. I purchased by 2005 V about a year ago. Had to park it in the garage for a year long slumber due to brake line failure. In the process of replacing ALL brake lines, I did the following;

1. Replaced fuel lines and fuel filter
  2. Replaced all brake lines
  3. Installed braided steel brake hoses
  4. Replaced brake master cylinder
  5. Replaced clutch master cylinder
  6. Replaced front calipers and all rotors and pads
  7. Replaced brake boosters (yesterday....due to dragging pads)
  8. Replaced Radiator
  9. Replaced coolant hoses
  10. Replaced water pump
  11. Installed aluminum (hard) engine mounts
  12. Replaced front end sway links
  13. Replaced front sub-frame
  14. Replaced rear sub-frame
  15. Replaced rear lower control arms, trailing arms and read end sway links
  16. Replaced front and rear tie rods (toe adjustment)
  17. Replaced steering rack and solenoid
  18. Installed polyurethane trans mount
  19. Installed polyurethane diff mount
  20. Installed Gen 1 V diff brace (looks like he stopped making them)
  21. Installed aluminum (hard) sub frame bushings
  22. changed ALL fluids
  23. Installed Mishimoto fans (had trouble routing the brake lines around the stock fan)
I am sure I am missing some little stuff...It all started with the brake lines.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,542 Posts
You have three options.
1. Simply make a new line from bulk tubing and fittings. Use the correct flare tool, and bending tool. This is how any garage will fix it. Not difficult, and not expensive (if you DIY).
2. Buy pre-flared line with the nuts on already from your local parts store. Bend, install, bleed. Also common for a DIY-er.
3. Remove the old line, send to Classic Tube or Inline Tube and have them duplicate the exact line.

Brake line replacement is very common as a car ages, especially in wet/salt areas. Don't look for help from GM on this, just get it done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts