Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I bought this 2004 Cadillac CTS and the brake lights don't turn on when I hit the pedal I changed the switch the bulbs the fuses the relays please help

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
369 Posts
Check the harness on the trunk lid by the hinge, and up front under the hood is another harness that can become damaged easily.

If you replace the Brake pedal position switch, you have to calibrate it with a scan tool capable of doing so.

-Byron

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >129k miles
527 Posts
Are you checking the brake lights with the car running or shut off? The CTS brake lights only come on if the car is running.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,785 Posts
If the brake pedal switch failed. Then he wouldn’t be able to take it out of park. So the issue is not there. It’s most likely with the BASE relay, or back. Back meaning towards the lights themselves.
Follow the above posted diagnostic paper.
KOT

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
876 Posts
If the brake pedal switch failed. Then he wouldn’t be able to take it out of park. So the issue is not there. It’s most likely with the BASE relay, or back. Back meaning towards the lights themselves.
Follow the above posted diagnostic paper.
KOT
He didn't mention whether he could or could not get it out of park or whether the problem was intermittent (as far as I'm aware, it does not have to be an all or nothing sort of situation...ie it can be failing but not totally failed, also was wondering about the contacts and wiring), so Just confirming if he checked or changed the BPS. He confirmed he changed it out and still has the problem, so yes something else is afoot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts