Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guy I am having an unusual problem with my braking lights and would like to hear from the experts on what it may be. The issue I have is that my diver side brake light works as expected but if I put the turn signal to the right then turn off and press on the brakes the drivers side lights do not work. If I put turn signal to left then turn off the brake lights work. I put turn signal to right and press brakes then some times it works and others it does not.

So it seems to me that the right turn signal is affect my brakes some how and I have no idea what to check or replace...would anyone know what it could be???

I think it is only fair to mention that I recently opened up the steering wheel to fix a broken wire on my ignition cylinder and had to resolder two wires on my turn signal harness that were also broken. But how and where does the turn signal affect the brakes?

Hope someone can help so I can get it inspected today if possible.

·
Registered
1996 Deville Concours
805 Posts
I would not call myself an expert so much, but I have something that might be relevant. I've seen this happen twice, on a friends car and on mine.

The symptoms were similar but slightly different than yours. One signal would flash faster, as if the fuse needed replacing, but the other would not, and the brakes would not light up on that side or would be the incorrect brightness.

In both cases, replacing the socket with the offending light fixed the problem. On one of the cars, it was simply a ground piece that had broken off, but was still touching what it was supposed to. I can only assume that the electrical resistances are fussy on these things. If this problem existed before you did your soldering work (which might alter resistance, but if it's just a wire, this seems moot to me), then it may be the socket of the light that's behaving oddly.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My question to you, does the turn signal switch inside the steering wheel control or affect the brake lights in any way? I would hate to buy and replace and it not be the problem...

·
Registered
1996 Deville Concours
805 Posts
I can't say for sure whether that switch is linked to the brake lights. Indirectly, it seems to me, that it is related. Pressing the brake brightens the light that flashes, if I recall correctly, so there has to be at least an indirect relationship. Like I said, I am not the expert you seek, so I can't say for sure that's the problem...it's just a direction that seems quite possible to me. I'm not sure if it would be different on your car either. The cars I was talking about are a 95 Brougham and a 94 Deville. It seemed to me a common problem. Perhaps someone else here can confirm or deny some sort of certainty.

On a side note, I think Advance Auto will let you bring back a part if it's not the problem. If so (or if another store in your area will do that), then I'd just buy it, and use wire nuts to splice so it doesn't "cut" the product, etc...

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it is only $50 and even if it is not the problem it is not bad to replace I just hate having to break the steering wheel apart time and time again.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well decided to open the steer wheel again and visibly checked the wires and all looked ok. I did pinch one wire with a screw but it did not break through or the wire but I am still having the same problem. It is as Tailfin said and the bright filament that stops working only when I engage the right turn signal. I did find another post that talked about corrosion on the cable and an improper ground and that is what I am checking next. I did attached the ground wire from the harness in a different location and maybe that is the problem but not sure yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts