Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second posting and I'm attempting to repair my newly acquired 1988 Seville to regular running order. So I need help from the experts and enthusiast that has gone before me and has conquered similar problems.

My brake lights on the dash board will will not go out even after pressing the brake release underneath the dash and hearing the brakes released. Is there a possibilty that something is wrong with the switch getting stuck or something?

I have an unrelated question again mentioned in my earlier post. I observed the top of engine oil gaskets and found out there was no noticeable oil leak. However there seems to be oil leaking around the oil filter which is located fairly high on the engine in comparison to others. Might this be my problem with the high oil consumption?

One last question for now. Can the A/C belt be disconnected and a different belt be used to bypass the A/C?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Regarding the parking brake lamp, it's probably the drum that the parking brake winds up on under the dash. After a while, it would hang up and not rotate all the way and touch the switch contact. I used to go up under there with a spray lube with a wand on it and lube the hub of the drum, then work it until it loosened up. Then it would travel all the way and hit the parking light switch to shut it off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help so far.

I stopped at our local library to find out from their online manual how to read codes and so far I have noticed that there are about 10 codes that comes up. Some of them say something about history codes or or something to that effect. The codes don't stay up much more than two seconds. I think that in some cases one may fix another one. A couple of them by memory is E030, E047, E052, B120 B121, B122, B127, B552, B556 and maybe a couple of other E codes that I can't remember right now. At the end of this coding session ECM? appears up and I don't know what that means either. Will someone help me find out what's happening? Is there a place that has those code readings available online for the 1988 Seville that are simplified? I know that the B552 and B556 codes comes from me replacing the digital dash and also I think that I need to replace the twilight /light module.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
bassmangreg said:
Thanks for the help so far.

I stopped at our local library to find out from their online manual how to read codes and so far I have noticed that there are about 10 codes that comes up. Some of them say something about history codes or or something to that effect. The codes don't stay up much more than two seconds. I think that in some cases one may fix another one. A couple of them by memory is E030, E047, E052, B120 B121, B122, B127, B552, B556 and maybe a couple of other E codes that I can't remember right now. At the end of this coding session ECM? appears up and I don't know what that means either. Will someone help me find out what's happening? Is there a place that has those code readings available online for the 1988 Seville that are simplified? I know that the B552 and B556 codes comes from me replacing the digital dash and also I think that I need to replace the twilight /light module.
Check out this thread this should give you all of the links you need for your car.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3362

BTW ECM? is normal that is what is displayed when the tests are done running

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think those list any thing before the year 1993. I think I need to find a manual that has lot's of detailed information.

I'm pretty sure I 'll have to take this 1988 to a repair shop one day eventually for something but I would like to do everything I can to save a few dollars beforehand.

I do appreciate all the help I've been getting so far and I will do what I can in return after my knowledge increase to help others on this forum.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
regarding the brake warning light, ck the master cylinder for fluid level. one of the reasons for the light is to inform of low fluid level in the master cyl. regarding the codes, go into diagnostics, after you get to the point of ecm? hit the hi button. that button means "yes" to the computor, hit the hi button until you see erase codes? message, erase all codes. then as the car is driven, only the current fault codes will reset. i would strongly recommend you purchase the factory service manual, thru ebay or somewhere, best money you will ever spend to diagnose electrical stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, you have really been great help. I have a manual on order. I think it's just a Haynes manual but that ought to help me out some. I hope it has those codes broken down so I can figure some of this stuff out.

I also appreciate that advise to check the brake fluid level and to hit the high button to erase the codes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts