Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado ETC
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I was wondering if any other GM cars (sans Cadilllac) shared brakes with the Eldorado. I am wanting to upgrade my brakes for peace of mind; I can't find anyone that makes upgraded calipers for it, so I was hoping I could find a car that has performance brakes that I can put on the Eldorado.

Thanks,
Davis

·
Registered
'02 Eldorado ETC 85k miles / Past: '03 Deville; '02 STS
176 Posts
I think the 2000+ deville & 98+ seville may be a direct fit. I'm not for certain though.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,107 Posts
Maybe - just maybe - the 2-piston calipers and companion rotors from a Buick Lucerne would fit. Other members have used them on 2000+ FWD models of Seville/Deville.

Your best bet - easiest, cheapest - would be to install a complete set of EBC Black Dash slotted rotors and the new compound Redstuff pads. I use them on the STS - powerful, quiet, no dust (after breakin), and much, much more resistant to fade than the OEM brakes.

Technical papers and descriptions in several parts of www.ebcbrakes.com - Automotive.

Pricing at www.placeforbrakes.com

Here's the set I put on the STS in '11 - still installed, going strong, happy camper. They WILL pull the car down from 143 in a hurry.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
They fit Auroras, so they'll fit last gen Eldos and pre '98 Sevilles as well. If there's a dust shield behind the existing rotor, it'll have to be removed.

----------

To clarify, as far as Buick goes, the 2 piston setup is on V8 Lucernes only. Same setup on most '06+ DTSs, and several other models as well.

·
Registered
Former 2003 Seville STS, 2016 ATS4 Coupe Premium 3.6
16 Posts
The 2 piston set I got came off of a LaCrosse Super instead of a Lucerne/DTS, so that's another option.

·
Registered
2002 Eldordo ETC Collector's Edition with Aux Input
106 Posts
Not intended as a hijack, but has there ever been a complete write up on this dual piston swap? And is it Lucerne/DTS (years ?) only, or also Lacrosse Super (years ?)???

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
It wouldn't be much or a write up. Other than the different rotor, pads, and caliper, the only additional step is swapping out the caliper bracket. Just 2 bolts holding it to the steering knuckle.

Some places, such as rock auto, sell "friction ready" caliper packages. It includes the caliper and bracket, but no pads. That way you can choose your own pads.

A good number of makes/models use this dual piston setup. No reason to worry about which ones if you're ordering new, just pick one. For instance, I ordered all of my parts for an '08 DTS.

The only variable, if you want to spend even more, would be ordering them for a bonneville GXP. All parts are the the same except that the caliper itself is aluminum.

----------

Some pictures of pad/rotor/caliper differences in my thread here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/545042-seville-brake-upgrade-jl9.html?nocache=1422828907448

·
Registered
Former 2003 Seville STS, 2016 ATS4 Coupe Premium 3.6
16 Posts
For me it was basically just "take old stuff off, put new stuff on". The brackets I bought even came with calipers so I was able to send the ones I bought separately back. If the Eldo has brake wear sensors that's another step, but my car didn't so I don't know what that entails.

----------

Make sure you have 17 inch wheels before you buy anything. I don't think 16s will clear the rotors for the dual piston setup.

·
Registered
02 Eldorado ESC, true 2.5" duals, 18X10's & 275/40ZR18's, 14" rotors, C5 Vette brakes
254 Posts
Agreed. 17's will be needed for the 12.75" 06 up DTS rotors (or anything else in the 13" range.) That's the setup I was going after until I found a 14" non-CTS combination that would work. Anything 13.75" to 14.25" in rotor diameter will require 18" wheels. However, whether you are using 17's on a 13" rotor or 18's with 14" rotors, you can't assume that Brembo calipers will clear all aftermarket wheels as the actual rim clearance changes with brands.
Also, you may find out about the F-body caliper swap. If you can spend a little bit more, go with the C-5 Vette calipers instead. They have smaller pistons that fill quicker with less brake fluid. That makes them react quicker and doesn't give the pedal that squishy feeling you would get with trying to use a stock master cylinder with a caliper they were not built to fill.
PM me if you have any questions, my input has a tendency to cause drama in the threads. I started not to post, but who knows, maybe someone knows of a better combo than I can come up with than the steel 14" rotor and C-5 calipers.

FYI for the 92-96 guys, none of this will work for you unless you use 97 up steering knuckles.

·
Registered
02 Eldorado ESC, true 2.5" duals, 18X10's & 275/40ZR18's, 14" rotors, C5 Vette brakes
254 Posts
In addition: Brembo Calipers come in 2, 4, 6 and 8 piston designs. Depending upon configuration, you may have to change your master cylinder for these in the same way that you would with the F-Body aluminum dual piston calipers (or any calipers that require a larger volume of fluid to fill). I have not yet researched or experienced what master cylinder upgrades will work due to my low cost and easy changeover goals. So, again, my vote is for the C-5 Vette calipers.

If you want to stay with 16” wheels, for the front use your stock rotors, C-5 Vette calipers and F-Body caliper brackets. PM me for info on the adaptor bushings required to make that bolt up without modifications

For the rear (and 16” wheels), you can use the stock calipers on larger rotors to save e-Brake mount fabrication and functionality headaches. I have this worked out for swapping in 11.75” rear rotors from late Seville FE3 cars.

However, I am now looking at 13” and 14” rotor options since I have decided to upgrade to 18” wheels.

·
Registered
254 Posts
On a final note; don't waste money on drilled or slotted rotors unless:
1. You are going to use the ultra expensive non-metallic CTS rotors and the pads engineered to work with them.

2. Steel rotors with asbestos pads.

It's a complete waste of money as well as a noticeable decrease in stopping power to use modern ceramic pads with the drilled or slotted rotors. Ceramics (as well as other non- asbestos pads ) do not produce the gasses that the slots and holes are there to remove. Therefore, you are needlessly decreasing your friction surface and weakening the rotors.... It's a profitable racket, but only the aftermarket companies benefit from the slotted rotor replacement.
And when drilled rotors heat up during Autocross or other track uses, they tend to crack between the holes. That's okay if you are a dedicated racer who changes brakes between events, but it's impractical for a street driven car.

You will see some testimonials from people who swear by their slotted rotors, but the only real gain was new pads over old pads + imagination due to sales hype. There's test results and science out there to debunk those claims.

Speaking of claims; there are those here of influence who claim that I am an incredulous hack because I dare think outside the box and commit the unpardonable sin of mixing car and truck makes in my low budget swaps.... My previous success in swapping a 500 and a 472 into an 82 Eldorado while using the 4 speed transmission and stock computer with larger throttle body to run it, and being the first on record to use 16 X 8 F-body wheels on that generation of Eldo gives me no credibility in this forum. So take my advice for what you perceive it to be.

·
Registered
2002 Eldordo ETC Collector's Edition with Aux Input
106 Posts
It wouldn't be much or a write up. Other than the different rotor, pads, and caliper, the only additional step is swapping out the caliper bracket. Just 2 bolts holding it to the steering knuckle.

Some places, such as rock auto, sell "friction ready" caliper packages. It includes the caliper and bracket, but no pads. That way you can choose your own pads.

A good number of makes/models use this dual piston setup. No reason to worry about which ones if you're ordering new, just pick one. For instance, I ordered all of my parts for an '08 DTS.

The only variable, if you want to spend even more, would be ordering them for a bonneville GXP. All parts are the the same except that the caliper itself is aluminum.

----------

Some pictures of pad/rotor/caliper differences in my thread here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/545042-seville-brake-upgrade-jl9.html?nocache=1422828907448
Your response offers more questions than answers, such as: If a good number of makes/ models use this dual piston setup, what are the makes and models and applicable years? Other than an '08 DTS? And what year Bonneville GXP?

It is helpful to find out that the caliper bracket is different, but I haven't seen mention of a different dust shield or anything else that might cause an issue. That is why I asked about a write-up, regardless of the length, that would be the repository of all pertinent information for this swap.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
The GXP was '04/'05 only I believe, not positive.

Ranger posted a link to an interchange. Look up the parts for an '08 DTS and tell other applicable makes/models will show up.

If the car has a dust shield, just remove it. The cars with this setup don't have them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts