Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Coupe Deville, 1991 Brougham d'elegance, 1996 Deville
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured out that leak under my car is the brake fluid. This car sat for 6 six years and the brakes need replacemet. When I push my foot on the pedal the fluid leaks out. I plan on doing the brakes myself, what should I be looking for when replacing the pads? New lines?

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
What's missing here? If you have a leak then obviously you need to inspect your calipers, wheel cylinders if applicable, and your steel and rubber lines. What are you asking?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,098 Posts
:eek: Maine, you are in for a very expensive surprise. Once the brake system develops leaks and, inevitably, moisture intrusion (because brake fluid LOVES water), GM service manuals recommend....no, state....that nearly the entire system be replaced, or you'll never stop the contamination from spreading. For instance, if you mix two of the four or five different brake fluids together by mistake, the whole system suffers contamination almost immediately and must be replaced, from the reservoir cap to the caliper bleeder nipples and everything in between. Modern brakes are murder to work on...correctly. Discs and pads are one thing.....but you NEVER want to open or contaminate the fluid system if you can help it. There's even a special procedure for replacing calipers........

1 - 3 of 3 Posts