Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '91 Sedan DeVille. When I apply the brakes the instrument panel is dimming. In addition in the past couple of days I have had two incedents where after applying the brakes the radio made a "popping" noise and the Anti-Lock brake light came on. I had the brakes done about a month ago and have not had any problems with them and the most recent change was new tires put on a couple of days before this started happening. I am also hearing a high pitch hum when applying the brakes at low speed. Any advice or information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
It's actually normal to see the instrumant lights dim a little when you hit the brakes. Believe it or not, there's a heck of a draw put on the electrical system when you light up the whole back of the car with brake lights. ;)
As for the noise when braking and the "popping" noise in the radio, I'd get the brake lights checked to make sure the proper bulbs are used and installed properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Katshot said:
It's actually normal to see the instrumant lights dim a little when you hit the brakes. Believe it or not, there's a heck of a draw put on the electrical system when you light up the whole back of the car with brake lights. ;)
As for the noise when braking and the "popping" noise in the radio, I'd get the brake lights checked to make sure the proper bulbs are used and installed properly.

Thanks! I will check the lights. It may have had something to do will all the rain we had. Now that it is dry It seems better and if the dimming is normal than maybe all is well.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hi Hunter

If it was raining when this problem occurred then you probably had your a/c on your rear defrost , radio, headlights, wipers etc... This will cause a significant drain on your charging system. You just made your charging system do a little overtime. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get your battery load tested, and your alternator checked. Just to be on the safe side. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
FASSTWOOD