Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So theres this brown dust on my Boyd Coddington smoothie 2's.

I tried scrubbing with normal rim soap and it's not coming off. Can you recommend something? thanx

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
So theres this brown dust on my Boyd Coddington smoothie 2's.

I tried scrubbing with normal rim soap and it's not coming off. Can you recommend something? thanx
What rim soap did you use?

You're best option will probably be clay. Go get one of those meguiars or mothers clay kits, they'll work fine. You'll probably have to work for a while at it, be patient.

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts
If its not coming off then its not brake dust. Beats me!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
If its not coming off then its not brake dust. Beats me!
Not entirely true, Nick. If the brake dust has been there for awhile, or you drive your car hard producing alot of brake heat, then it can embed into the finish. It'll take some work.

Stay away from the wheel cleaners, waste of money.

Post up some pics, be easier to help then.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not entirely true, Nick. If the brake dust has been there for awhile, or you drive your car hard producing alot of brake heat, then it can embed into the finish. It'll take some work.

Stay away from the wheel cleaners, waste of money.

Post up some pics, be easier to help then.
real good info!!!

yeah..I drive it like a bat out of hell....and yeah...I let it sit dirty.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
real good info!!!

yeah..I drive it like a bat out of hell....and yeah...I let it sit dirty.
Seriously, try clay. If clay doesn't do it, you might try some diluted all purpose cleaner and a microfibre. If ya do try a wheel cleaner, be careful.
Even tho most say its clear coat safe...its only safe if its washed off almost right away. And even then, you may deal with staining and peeling eventually.

And after you are done cleaning...make sure to wax your wheels ;) That way, itll make it easier to clean next time. It really does help.

·
Registered
07 CTS. black,18" STS polished rims, V grill
50 Posts
Whatever you do, stay away from any type of degreaser/cleaner as they will stain the clearcoat. Rub very gently with tooth paste and a piece of terrycloth and see if that takes it off. The toothpaste has very mild abrasives in it (any toothpaste will work). It will also take off rubbed on paint and minor scratches. Saves the cost of buying polishing compounds for small blemishes.
You could also try a mild polishing compound.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
274 Posts
Seriously, try clay. If clay doesn't do it, you might try some diluted all purpose cleaner and a microfibre. If ya do try a wheel cleaner, be careful.
Even tho most say its clear coat safe...its only safe if its washed off almost right away. And even then, you may deal with staining and peeling eventually.

And after you are done cleaning...make sure to wax your wheels ;) That way, itll make it easier to clean next time. It really does help.
WHEEL WAX is a great product. Very easy to use. And only costs about $10.
Use a good microfiber.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Black Raven
341 Posts
Mcguires Hot Rims works great, make sure its the one thats safe for all types of rims.. use a light cloth to get the tough spot off... keep applying after rinsing.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How does that work? Terribly would be my guess. It was just meant for comic relief, not an actual method to try. It might work?

When you spell aluminum like that you have to prepare for the funnies...
:cookoo::cookoo::histeric::alchi::alchi: How does that work? After a 12 pack go piss on your car or is it a case?

·
Registered
'09 CTS AWD Performance
89 Posts
I agree that the waxing helps with getting the dust off in the future.

Am I the only one who finds it easier to remove brake dust while it's dry? I've always found the brake dust comes off easier when brushed dry (basically dusting the wheels before washing the car) or wiped-off, using detergents or water for the hard stuff. In my experience, most of the remaining brake dust comes off during the regular washing with the rest of the car.

Basically, from my experience, the dust is relatively easy to remove, but when you add any water, it becomes like sludge.

Of course, if your wheels got soaked in the rain, the stuff I mentioned above is less effective. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts