Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
cts v
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are those brake cooling ducts at the fog lights? i noticed a racing bmw at a track day that had ducting that came within probably 1/2 inch of the rotors. these ducts on our cars are far away from the rotors. anyone have experience modding this. with no aftermarket pads(rotors are available ..no?) brakes overheating was a huge trackday issue on this porker of a car.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Yes, those openings near the fog light are for brake cooling. The 2004-2007 CTS-V series had them too. So far as I know, no one has complained about inadequate brake cooling on any of these cars. You state that over heating was a huge track day issue. What is your definition of over heating? It is my understanding that rotors get red hot from lots of braking is a fairly normal occurance with these cars.

·
Registered
cts v
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the pads smeared over the rotors and the rotors had to be turned. the pads didn't just wear out they cracked.

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
the pads smeared over the rotors and the rotors had to be turned. the pads didn't just wear out they cracked.
You need to do a better job of bedding the pads in. Just driving around on the street with them isn't going to be enough. Spend one session of your first track day doing some high speed stops, and then get back into the pits and let them cool (ie, throw the rest of your session away).

These pads need to be bedded in properly, and they'll last a long time at the track (ask the HPVO guys that did all the track tuning with the car). Improper bedding, and they'll just waste away.

jas

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
You need to do a better job of bedding the pads in. Just driving around on the street with them isn't going to be enough. Spend one session of your first track day doing some high speed stops, and then get back into the pits and let them cool (ie, throw the rest of your session away).

These pads need to be bedded in properly, and they'll last a long time at the track (ask the HPVO guys that did all the track tuning with the car). Improper bedding, and they'll just waste away.

jas
What would you suggest for someone who doesn't have access to a track?

·
Registered
cts v
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice. i will try that next time. however, the first session was fairly tame, but certainly more aggressive than any street action so i expected them to have been embedded. i dont think these stock pads and rotors are suitable for near race pace (80-90%). i think perfectly embedded stock pads are not going to hold up and that is why they make race pads.(but they don't make them for our cars yet)

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
What would you suggest for someone who doesn't have access to a track?
The first question I have to ask is: if someone doesn't have access to a track, why do they care about bedding in the brakes properly? If you're just driving on the street, your brakes are going to be more than adequate, as they are. No extra bedding in is necessary.

WHEN you get to the track, you'll need to blow off one of your sessions by doing some hot laps and fast stops, and then LEAVING THE TRACK briefly for a quick drive around town (I'm sure any race track will let you back in, once you've checked in).

jas

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
i think perfectly embedded stock pads are not going to hold up and that is why they make race pads.(but they don't make them for our cars yet)
The pads in the V are more than adequate for any track duty any of us are going to throw at the car. The stock rotors, however, may not be. GM and Brembo are letting us down seriously by not getting the track rotors out to us.

So, with that, I say again: bed the pads in and you'll be OK (as far as the pads are concerned).

jas

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
The first question I have to ask is: if someone doesn't have access to a track, why do they care about bedding in the brakes properly? If you're just driving on the street, your brakes are going to be more than adequate, as they are. No extra bedding in is necessary.

WHEN you get to the track, you'll need to blow off one of your sessions by doing some hot laps and fast stops, and then LEAVING THE TRACK briefly for a quick drive around town (I'm sure any race track will let you back in, once you've checked in).

jas
Would you gain any durability in street use from bedding in the pads properly?

I also plan to take part in a V track day, but Ill have to drive at least 2 days to get to the nearest track. Id hate to have to 'waste' track time if there was anyway I could take care of this beforehand. Just thinking ahead...

·
Registered
09 Cadillac CTS V
255 Posts
If you don't have a track to bed your brakes on, I suggest the manufacturer's general performance procedures -

Hawk Brake company has this as their brake bedding procedure -
Burnishing Instructions

After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.

·
Registered
08 CTS, 03 Z06 LS2 408 track car, 07 Q7 tow vehicle
195 Posts
The pads in the V are more than adequate for any track duty any of us are going to throw at the car. The stock rotors, however, may not be. GM and Brembo are letting us down seriously by not getting the track rotors out to us.

So, with that, I say again: bed the pads in and you'll be OK (as far as the pads are concerned).

jas

I have to qualify my comments by first stating I have not driven a V yet, but base my statements on years of track experience with Vettes and with a MB E55. There is no way one can say a street pad is adequate for the track. The coefficient of friction and the temp range of street pads is much lower than track pads. This is why after several hot laps the street pads will overheat and show fade. A track pad will work much better especially with the heavy weight of this car. Any serious attempts to track the V with the street pads will bring out the ineffectiveness of any street compound. The converse of this is that track compound will be very noisy and dirty, and will not stop the car well enough when cool.

The rotors on the other hand should be fine, but track use will drastically shorten their lifespan. The will be prone to cracking due to inadequate cooling. Any prolonged (>20 minute) track sessions at speed will cause the pads and calipers to build up excessive heat resulting in fade.

Requirements to upgrade brakes for serious track use:

-upgraded DOT 3 high temp fluid or Castrol SRF (best fluid available)
-brake duct extensions with hosing up to the hub
-stainless steel brake lines (optional)
-dedicated track pads
-extra rotors

Two piece rotors with aluminum hats are nice, but very pricey. They do provide a reduction in unsprung mass and better heat dissipation, but do not significantly stop the car any better. A spare set of stock front rotors is recommendedto have on hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts