Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the rear pads and rotors on my 2015 2.0L ATS. In digging around, I couldn't find the torque value for the rear caliper mounting bolts, so I went with what I know from several prior brake jobs which is to torque them pretty well, so I set my torque wrench to 80 lb-ft. Of course, then I find a thread on this forum from oemtech saying the rears are 27 lb-ft and the fronts are 111 lb-ft. Why are the rear's so much less than the fronts? I understand the front takes a lot more load under braking, but the rear bolts are pretty beefy. If the rear's are only supposed to be torqued to 27 and I tightened them to 80, I'm surprised I didn't snap the bolts. Not only that, but I had to get my breaker bar the get the bolts loose, and I imagine that was not due solely to the pink thread lock on there.

I guess my question is, and I'm not necessarily doubting oemtech because he gives really good info, are the rear caliper bolts supposed to be torqued to 27 lb-ft?

· Registered
2016 ATS
3 Posts
Anytime you are in doubt of what the torque should be you can do a google search for that size fastener and the material that it is going in. You may have to verify that the bolt is the proper class but if it's the OEM fastener you shouldn't have to worry about that.

· Registered
2015 ATS Sedan / 2.0T / RWD / 6 speed auto
241 Posts
Watch out, do not mistake the bracket bolt with the guide pin bolt You need 74 lb ft instead of 27 lb ft.

So 80 lb ft were a good choice.

Brake Caliper Bolt - Front (J55): 150 N.m + 30 degrees // 111 lb ft + 30 degrees
Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt - Front (JE5): 150 N.m + 30 degrees // 111 lb ft + 30 degrees
Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt - Rear (JE5, J55): 100 N.m + 25 degrees // 74 lb ft + 25 degrees
Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolt - Front (JE5): 28 N.m // 21 lb ft
Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolt - Rear (JE5, J55): 36 N.m // 27 lb ft

J55 is meant for 321mm and JE5 for 300mm front disc diameter. The rear rotors are equal.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Watch out, do not mistake the bracket bolt with the guide pin bolt You need 74 lb ft instead of 27 lb ft.

So 80 lb ft were a good choice.

J55 is meant for 321mm and JE5 for 300mm front disc diameter. The rear rotors are equal.
Thanks! I was scared for a minute. It seems people use the caliper bracket bolt and guide pin bolt terms loosely. The ATS community needs a sticky post with torque values.

· Registered
2013 ATS Lux 2.0T MT (128K mi)
1,166 Posts
Watch out, do not mistake the bracket bolt with the guide pin bolt...
Made that mistake when installing a strut. I used the torque for, what I at least thought was, the strut bolt spec for a 2016 Camaro, which was 47 lb ft. Unfortunately, for the ATS, with fe2, it should have been something like 14 lb ft! I wish I could have seen my face when the bolt snapped (especially after all I went through to get the spring compressed enough to get the hat on).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.