Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 escalade esv
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello cadillac lovers.

I've taken on the task of changing my brake pads on my 07 escalade. I've changed many brake pads before of different makes and models but never on my cadillac. For some reason I'm having an issue bleeding the lines. The more I try to bleed it seems more air is entering the lines. My reservoir is above the minimum level but below the maximum. Is there something i'm missing?

·
Registered
2011 EXT Premium & 2006 STS4
212 Posts
I'm assuming you are quite familiar with the correct procedure for bleeding brakes, so I won't waste your time with bleeding instructions. I have done the brake bleed procedure for many years, and finally broke down and tried a bleeder kit. That did it for me. I will never do it the old fashioned way again. I use the Eastwood Bleeding kit for all bleeding / flushing jobs now. I have not had any problems with air in the lines since using the bleeder kit. You can also go with a Mighty Vac system if you want to spend a few more $$$. That's my suggestion that might help you out (Assuming you aren't using one now??).

·
Registered
2013 ESC EXT
27 Posts
Pardon me for piggy backing on your question. I have a condition that I was wondering if it is air in the line. Whenever I hit the brake pedal quickly but not necessarily hard, I get a bump back in the pedal. Is this an air bubble and could I stand to have the breaks bled. It is an 05 EXT.
Thanks

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
Some times it may look like there is air in the line for the following reason. 1. Make sure the Hose attached to the bleeder screw is snug. A small wire tie to make the hose snug. 2. open the bleeder screw slowly, as soon as you see fluid, stop. Air leaks by the threads from the screw if you loosen it too much. You can remove the screw and put some Teflon tape on it to solve that problem also. Motive makes a great it. Search the forum, I did a write-up on bleeding. Good luck. No matter what method you choose, make sure your reservoir is filled to the top before you start. It is also a good idea to suction out the old fluid from the reservoir, fill with fresh then choose your bleeding option.
1. Gravity bleed.
2. 2 Person bleed
3. 1 Person bleed
4. Motive pressure bleed
5. Other vacuum bleed.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
vicnelson, I think you have a feature that is on most new cars. It pre-loads the anti-lock brakes. You can test this by doing the following. On my SRX with the feature, if I take my foot off the gas, then let a second or two before braking hard to trip ABS, you will notice a delay in ABS activating. If you quickly take your foot off the gas and immediately hit the brakes, the brake system senses this as an emergency stop and pre-loads ABS and it kicks in immediately. Very cool feature.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I second the bleeder kit idea unless you have another person, at the shop I use the Snap-On machine that pre-loads the anti lock brakes and does the bleeding for you, I replace all the brakes on my Escalade's and I have never had cars/trucks that take as long to bleed the brakes as the Escalade's do, way longer than my 2500 HD's.

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
I just used the motive bleeder on mine. It does a wonderful job and will cost about $60.

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
IMHO, It is a must have device in your garage for brakes! Works amazingly well...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I purchase 4 of those Black Plastic Car Ramps at Autozone, I drive up on all four. Car is level and I can scoot around under there easily. Escalade, Van, SRX, it works Great... Neighbor came over and wondered if I had a lift in my driveway.

·
Registered
2010 Premium w/ ALL options + 2004 Pontiac GTO LS6 "Beast"
1,196 Posts
I had the same issue. My problem was 2 fold. One I found I had a bad bleed screw. The tip was rounded out and not sealing well. I also found that when pumping the pedal you should not press all the way to the floor. Doing that over extends the piston in the master and causes air to enter that way. Only pump the pedal about 3/4 of the way.

Also to do the job the right way and rid all the air, you need to cycle your abs pump. The Tech2 is the tool of choice, but I have heard of others cycling the key to get it to pump. Would take forever that way, as the Tech2 runs the pump for at least a full solid minute per corner. And while the pump is pumping, you pump the brake pedal.

I tried a mightyvac style bleeder, and it wasn't as through as the old tried and true method (with the Tech2 cycling the pump). I fought air for days, and ended up bleeding 12 times before I found out about the pedal travel on one of the Tahoe forums. Cost me over $100 in fluid :(

·
Registered
NONE
50 Posts
I don't have a bleeder kit, but when I do end up bleeding. I install Speed Bleeders on the vehicles, and it does the trick. The Escalate will get them in the next month or so. Also, I elevate whatever corner is being bleed to make it a tad bit easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts