Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CTS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD (sold)
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the OEM rear brake pads (AC Delco 171-0882) and it didn't come with any bedding instructions so I found one here http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/bedbrakes.html. The first process is easy enough to do on the freeway....

From a speed of about 60mph, gently apply the brakes to slow the car down to about 45mph, then accelerate back up to 60mph and repeat. Do this about four or five times to bring the brakes up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.

However, I am concerned with doing the 2nd process on the freeway. I was wondering if it's absolutely necessary to perform them?

Make a series of eight near-stops from 60 to about 10 mph. Do it HARD by pressing on the brakes firmly, just shy of locking the wheels or engaging ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! (Note: With less aggressive street pads and/or stock brake calipers, you may need to do this fewer times. If your pedal gets soft or you feel the brakes going away, then you've done enough. Proceed to the next step.)

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Wagon-Raven Black, manual, satin graphite wheels
456 Posts
Have any industrial areas reasonably close to your house? I've always done this sort of thing in industrial areas at night when nothing is going on there.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have any industrial areas reasonably close to your house? I've always done this sort of thing in industrial areas at night when nothing is going on there.
There are but I believe the speed limit is 45

·
Registered
456 Posts
That's why you go at night when no one is around. Police probably aren't actively patrolling and certainly aren't hiding to jump out and bust someone and there's no one around to complain to get them to come.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why you go at night when no one is around. Police probably aren't actively patrolling and certainly aren't hiding to jump out and bust someone and there's no one around to complain to get them to come.
Ok if I get a ticket I will be sending you the bill :)

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,166 Posts
Show us some cojones!

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,166 Posts
Infractions
1/0 (0)

See that little line that says Infractions? The forum nazis don't like anyone who is not in lockstep. I have lots of goodies that I can "tastefully" do, but I can't call anyone a moron. So in fear of my life I just left it at cojones. Probably one of these days I will go out in a blaze of glory when someone really pi$$es me off, but not yet.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you are unwilling to do short bursts up to 60 in a 45 in a trafficless industrial zone and hard braking to near stopped on the freeway is clearly not at all safe, I guess your only option for brake bedding is to rent a track for a day, bed your brakes in the morning, let them cool off, and then go run some hot laps in the afternoon.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are unwilling to do short bursts up to 60 in a 45 in a trafficless industrial zone and hard braking to near stopped on the freeway is clearly not at all safe, I guess your only option for brake bedding is to rent a track for a day, bed your brakes in the morning, let them cool off, and then go run some hot laps in the afternoon.
I can do the 60 to 45 on a freeway. My concern was doing the 60 to 10 on the freeway. I posted the same question on the other CTS-V site and since I don't track my car, they said I don't really need to do any of it. Just easy driving for the first 100-200 is fine. Do you agree?

·
Registered
456 Posts
There are a lot of things you don't really need to do. I guess in that sense this qualifies as one of them. Obviously from my stating of my experience in how I do it it is something I feel should be done enough that I do it. But whether or not you do it is up to you. Your brakes will still stop your car if you don't do it so, in that sense it doesn't actually need done.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)
710 Posts
For normal daily driving I see no problem with the taking it easy method. The bedding is best. What you are trying to do is evenly distribute friction material to the rotor. If you use a bedding procedure it is done at the end of the procedure. If you just drive normally but easy, the bedding takes longer. Also when you come to a complete stop with hot brakes before the pads are fully bedded, it can transfer friction material when stopped and only where the pad touches the rotor. This would end up giving you a pulsing pedal. If this happens, you can always do several high speed high temp braking maneuvers to get the rotor really hot. This will help clean the excess friction material off the rotor, then you need to re-bed.

·
Registered
2008 SRX V-6 AWD
141 Posts
OEM brakes on a daily driver and not planning on track or performance events ...
JMHO I would consider bedding to be a waste of time.

Now aftermarket performance brakes and or planning on some performance/hard braking type of use then I highly recommend bedding.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,840 Posts
Parrisk said:
OEM brakes on a daily driver and not planning on track or performance events ... JMHO I would consider bedding to be a waste of time. Now aftermarket performance brakes and or planning on some performance/hard braking type of use then I highly recommend bedding.
Are you at all familiar with what the Vs braking components actually are? Your comments indicate "not at all".

·
Registered
456 Posts
Bonus to bedding the brakes on every thing ever is on the shitty things like the Wrangler you put cheap pads on you become well aware of the point your brakes begin to fade and how much performance deteriorates at that point (a lot).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts