Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer told me that it is standard for the XLR's RPM to go to idel whenever steping on the brake. I find that I have to completely rely on my brakes even traveling down the mountain with no engine compression to assist. Is this true?

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,192 Posts
GaryXLR said:
My dealer told me that it is standard for the XLR's RPM to go to idel whenever steping on the brake. I find that I have to completely rely on my brakes even traveling down the mountain with no engine compression to assist. Is this true?
Not mine. The car has a lot of engine braking when I'm going down hill, or when I'm comming to stop. If you're going down a mountain move the shifter into manual mode and put it in 3rd gear, if things are working correctly the torque converter will stay engaged.

·
Banned
851 Posts
Vrocks said:
Not mine. The car has a lot of engine braking when I'm going down hill, or when I'm comming to stop. If you're going down a mountain move the shifter into manual mode and put it in 3rd gear, if things are working correctly the torque converter will stay engaged.
Hi Vrocks,
yours too, I did the same as you, never recognized it when I had my stock exhaust on but since I have my Corsa on you feel it.

Do one easy thing, drive about 60 or 70 miles than just touch the brake a little and you see your tachometer goes from about 1500 - 1600 rpm down to about 1000 - 1100.
Now you know I used to drive my car fast on the Autobahn and when you have to brake with 240 kph (150 mph) or 260 kph (162 mph) you even get some motor-braking than. This car got a realy smart transmission!

Have a nice weekend
Harry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took a test drive with my service manager and showed him how my RPM drops off in 5th and 4th gears. He showed me what to do and now I use the manual shift for stopping fast using the compression of the engine. 3rd and 4th gears can hold onto the engine compression with breaking by pulling first down a gear and then breaking (not the opposite). I have a very deep sounding after market exhaust system and when I touch the break and then loose my RPM it sounds terrible.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Many transmissions don't offer engine braking in overdrive range.
Usually shifting to a manual gear range will give you engine braking though.
It's all up to the engineers as to which manual ranges have engine braking.
The rule I use is... if it's not enough, go down another gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts