Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After recently going to the track, I noticed how much fun 400+ hp is. As the V being the third car in the fleet, I'm noticing it's too much car for what I use or intend to use it for.

The V is great for business events, dinner parties, and going out with the wife. However, I have a Denali that can do all that as well. Also, for all the miles we drive to commute for work, we currently share an Audi sedan 2.0T. I also use this for work related events. So pretty much all my basis are covered with those two cars.

The V is starting to be extra weight in the garage. I'd rather own a third car that can have a different use for me. Something that I wouldn't mind destroying on the track. Something that when I get in it, is not about luxury and business. Something that has better aftermarket support. Something that can really make better use of the aftermarket parts.

So I was wondering...... and I need your help. Could I transplant my current Maggie onto a C5 Z06? It's the same engine. I might need some hardware and software but it should mount up, right?

Who agree's or disagree's with my thoughts? If so, why? I'm wondering if I'm making sense about the car trade and swap of the Maggie.

This is something I'm considering.....http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=187316749&dealer_id=573906&car_year=2001&search_type=used&make=CHEV&transmission=Manual&distance=300&model=CORV&address=95377&make2=sel_one&certified=&advanced=y&max_mileage=&max_price=30000&bkms=1132341175057&min_price=1&end_year=2006&color=&start_year=2000&drive=&isp=y&engine=&body_style=COUPE&doors=&fuel=&lang=en&cardist=293

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
2,271 Posts
C5 Z06 is a GREAT track car!

Dont get an '01... lots of improvements in '02. And the 01's have an oil comsumption problem which can be really bad on the track.
All the changes made in '02: http://c5registry.com/2k2z06/index.htm

And there are a ton of z06's available in No. Cal.
Buddy just bought an '02 today: chrome wheels, Corsa, etc. 6000 miles for $32K.
We looked at a mint Blue '02 in South Lake Tahoe... 4000 miles... guy should take $32K-ish for that one.

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info guys....

[Edit] I did find this and now I'm slobbering..... http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=191612492&dealer_id=57121359&car_year=2002&search_type=used&make=CHEV&transmission=Manual&distance=300&model=CORV&address=95377&make2=sel_one&certified=&advanced=y&max_mileage=&max_price=35000&bkms=1132350521255&min_price=1&end_year=2006&color=&start_year=2002&drive=&isp=y&engine=&body_style=COUPE&doors=&fuel=&lang=en&cardist=300

I'll continue to look. I'll probably make a call to Magnusson to see if they can sell me the needed hardware and software. Also, to see if I can make the change. If not, then I will sit tight till I figure this all out.

Do I really want a more track friendly car or do I stay with the V and just tame myself to go a few times a year?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just traded my 2002 Z06 for a 2004 CTS-V. There is only one of me, i had two cars the Z and an Avalanche. You got to have more then two seats in one car or more then one car. The things I did not like about the Z are the noise, ride and comfort in general. I'm saving in only one car. The V is exciting, not as fast or race car like as the V. After three Vets I feel everone should have one at some point in their life. If you get yours enjoy it for all it has to offer. The high point in my owership was passing a Carrera GT on a track day.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
a two-seater is just not a practical option for me for a number of reasons (though I have 3 cars but I also have 3 kids), but if it were I would get a Z06 in a new york minute (perhaps as car #4).

·
Registered
753 Posts
Slightly more than a year ago, I sold my Machine Silver 2004 C5 Z06 after picking up my V. At the time, my daily driver was a 2003 Suburban 2500 and the Vette was my fun ride. It was my first Vette and I found it to be a surprisingly good vehicle: scary fast, great handling, great looks, decent compfort, and startling storage capacity in the trunk.

But, it was loud in the cabin until I installed a divider to block the exhaust noise resonating from the trunk area, and the seats seemed to be a bit flimsy for daily use over years of ownership. Now, after dumping the big Suburban for a Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is a great daily driver, I sometimes find myself thinking about my dear departed Z06.

It really is the perfect fun car, and until you have buried the go pedal on a Z06, you have yet to experience the true awesome capability of the LS-6. Mine had headers, Random Tech cats, an airbox, and a B&M shifter. I can't even imagine a supercharger in a Z06. Oh Mommy!

I love my V. It is more fun than I ever thought possible for a four door sedan. But, from what you have described as your vehicle situation, I think you would find the Z06 to be the brute force, kick-in-the-pants rocketship that one wants for a fun car. It would be great at twice the price.

CR

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having all of you share your thoughts, has me motivated to make the move. The good thing is, I already have the wife who agrees with me. Meaning, she agrees I should get rid of the V. She's upset hearing, I have to take the V to the dealer. However, she doesn't know the V is supercharged and has exhaust. She never drives it. She's only driven it once for an emergency.

I'll be going to the San Francisco International Auto Show www.sfautoshow.com this coming Sunday. I hope I don't fall over when I finally get to sit in a C6 Z06.

Just in case Magnusson wouldn't take the supercharger kit from the V, and I can't transplant it over to a C5 Z06, would any of you be interested in purchasing it?

V

·
0 Posts
I think that is only proper that an American own Corvette sometime in their life. Even it is for 6 months and 15K miles like I owned my '99 C5 hardtop. I had a V but did not want roadcourse durability propblems down the road. Spent 15 track day outings this year in an '05 GTO when I traded the V in April. In 19K miles I have only been in to get powersteering replaced which a few othe forums members also had to do.

Norm

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Norm, I totally forgot all about the GTO. That's another potential transplant victim.

Heavymetals, you are definitely trying to get me into trouble. A C6 Z06 with a Maggie? I couldn't even try to imagine how I'd piss my pants taking that beast thru some laps on a track. :D

We'll see what jumps out at me this Sunday.

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
VELOSE said:
Heavymetals, you are definitely trying to get me into trouble. A C6 Z06 with a Maggie? I couldn't even try to imagine how I'd piss my pants taking that beast thru some laps on a track. :D
You know someone is gonna do it.

I remember reading the report on when they maggied the first C5 Z06.

T

·
0 Posts
Let me know if you sell the Maggie! I'm buying another V this week for my wife and she wants a Maggie! Now I remember why I have been married 10 years. The V is for our 10th on 12/14!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
TXSilverV said:
Let me know if you sell the Maggie! I'm buying another V this week for my wife and she wants a Maggie! Now I remember why I have been married 10 years. The V is for our 10th on 12/14!
:worship: Mrs. TXSilverV

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
VELOSE said:
Having all of you share your thoughts, has me motivated to make the move. The good thing is, I already have the wife who agrees with me. Meaning, she agrees I should get rid of the V. She's upset hearing, I have to take the V to the dealer. However, she doesn't know the V is supercharged and has exhaust. She never drives it. She's only driven it once for an emergency.
I'll be going to the San Francisco International Auto Show www.sfautoshow.com this coming Sunday. I hope I don't fall over when I finally get to sit in a C6 Z06.
Just in case Magnusson wouldn't take the supercharger kit from the V, and I can't transplant it over to a C5 Z06, would any of you be interested in purchasing it?
Please PM me as I would be interested in purchasing your Maggie SC.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts