Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else wants to see it? I'm dying to see it. Cohen always cracks me up...I love how he's always pushing the limits of decency to make a joke, especially how he uses random people in his movies....oh I can't wait to see it. Borat was a classic, I wonder how this'll compare. :lol: :histeric:

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Cohen's humor is so unique in that it hits on two levels- not only the base, sophomoric side of your brain that says "lol look at that guy acting Gay (or thuggish or foolish)", but also the intellectual side that appreciates the way he extracts the most shocking statements out of people by putting them in their comfort zone (or taking them out of it).

He's a brilliant comedian, and quite honestly I think he's what Andy Kaufman aspired to be but never achieved. Kaufman ended up doing his stunts solely for his own amusement, but never let the audience in on the joke. Cohen on the other hand, he knows that we are all aware he's not reall Bruno or Borat, yet still shows up to premieres in full character.

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
I saw him on Conan last night, can't wait to see this. I wonder if it'll be better than Borat (which literally put me in tears the first time I saw it).

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I've been looking forward to this and I think it will definitely be better than most of the garbage that's come out thus far this Summer except for possibly The Hangover and Star Trek. I don't think it will -quite- eclipse the magic of Borat, but it will probably come pretty damn close. As noted above, SBC has a gift for comedy. He is the only person that could probably ever get away with dangling his balls in Eminem's face... in public.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
There's no accountin' for taste.
Exactly! Borat was so bad I couldn't watch more than half of it. I only sat that long because my brother-in-law brought it over. He had to quit too. I don't expect this one to be any better! :thehand:

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The "running of the Jews" scene in Borat was epic. One of the funniest scenes I've seen in a while.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
I liked Borat but some parts I really hated.. Well, just one comes to mind at the moment - the scene with balls in it. I loved all the politically incorrectness. I saw Borat on DVD and if I see Bruno, it'll be the same way...

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
There's no accountin' for taste.

What's your email address -- we can all chip in and send you a Video on Demand of "Borat" and an ITunes download of Michael Jackson "HIStory".

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Truth be told, I have never seen all of Borat. I have seen like the first 20 minutes and though it was hilarious. I will wait until Bruno hits the $3 Ogden 6 theater by my house. Lately they have been getting the movies there really fast, within a week or two of opening day.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,096 Posts
What's your email address -- we can all chip in and send you a Video on Demand of "Borat" and an ITunes download of Michael Jackson "HIStory".
I hate electronic media. It doesn't burn in my fireplace worth a hoot.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
I've been looking forward to this and I think it will definitely be better than most of the garbage that's come out thus far this Summer except for possibly The Hangover and Star Trek. I don't think it will -quite- eclipse the magic of Borat, but it will probably come pretty damn close. As noted above, SBC has a gift for comedy. He is the only person that could probably ever get away with dangling his balls in Eminem's face... in public.

That angelass awards show bit was HILARIOUS!

·
Registered
'98 ETC Black 90k miles
1,061 Posts
Never saw the funny in Borat, never saw the funny in Ali G, won't be looking for funny in Bruno.

The guy just doesn't amuse me. Nothing he does is remotely funny to me, and I used to be a Comedy Central addict. I still watch Comedy Central Presents all the time, and I got to see Lewis Black and Ron White live a while back (not the same show). Sacha Baron Cohen is just not funny. I get all the jokes. I see what people are supposed to think is funny about him. To me, it's just fake.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Never saw the funny in Borat, never saw the funny in Ali G, won't be looking for funny in Bruno.

The guy just doesn't amuse me. Nothing he does is remotely funny to me, and I used to be a Comedy Central addict. I still watch Comedy Central Presents all the time, and I got to see Lewis Black and Ron White live a while back (not the same show). Sacha Baron Cohen is just not funny. I get all the jokes. I see what people are supposed to think is funny about him. To me, it's just fake.
Frankly, I didn't follow him back in the Ali G days and I didn't care to, but I am quite glad I was introduced to Borat. However I do believe that it is a love it or hate it comedy style. It took time for it to grow on me but I found it really entertaining after a while.

That being said I think the reason that Bruno won't be quite the success that Borat was is that at least in the previews I see they seem to be using even more "acted" footage this time (for example a snippet from a fictitious talk show "Today with Richard Bey" is made to sound like the real talk show Today with Rachel Ray obviously) rather than the more impromptu hilarity that occurred in Borat (and yes I realize there are some elements of "staging" to all of it).

·
Registered
'98 ETC Black 90k miles
1,061 Posts
However I do believe that it is a love it or hate it comedy style.
You know what? This is the exact same thing my friend keeps telling me - he's a huge Borat fan. After I told him I didn't really think it was that funny, he said the same thing. I'm inclined to believe you're both correct.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
His interviews as Ali G with people like Newt Gingrich and Brent Scowcroft were insanely hilarious.

Watching these serious people try to keep their composure while attempting to explain obvious things to this (apparent) moron was just priceless. Since they thought they were filming a talk show for inner city youth in the UK, they were so patient of all his malapropisms and inane questions, but you could just see them thinking "What the hell?!" on the inside.

Good stuff.

·
Registered
2013 ATS Premium 3.6, 1989 Allanté
4,513 Posts
i never watched borat, had no intentions to, have no intentions of watching this one, and i change the channel during previews

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
I saw it last night with a group of friends from work. It sucked. Borat was 10x better.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts