Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, a thread I was participating in kind of got a little side-tracked. Okay, I jacked the thread (sorry DopeStar 156). It was totally unintentional but it DID kind of lead into some fun posts. So, I figured why not start a seperate thread and see how many others might want to get involved.
The point of the thread will be to share memories of things from a while ago that are no longer common in our lives. Things that had an impact on us. Things that we thought were "normal" but that people who were born say after the 60's or so have no idea about.
What started the whole thing was a talk about carburetors. How so many people today cut their driving teeth on EFI cars and for that reason have no idea how to deal with a carburetor. Things like having to set the choke before starting the engine and having to knock down the high-idle prior to dropping the trans in gear. Get it?
We mentioned thing like:
1. 3 on the trees
2. Setting points
3. Cars not coming with right side mirrors
4. Cars without gas gauges

Get it?
Then it kind of just flowed into other non-automotive things like:
1. TV's before cable and before color
2. 8-tracks
3. Before there were malls
4. The first calculators

You get the idea.
So let's share some memories of how things USED to be..........

·
Registered
230 Posts
Put a "dieseling" car in drive to kill the motor.
Removable fender skirts that weighed 80lbs each.
Commodore 64
PONG baby!

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
*Todays laptop computers use to fill a room!:eek:
*TV tubes were round.
*No Stereo and only AM radio and wax records
*Stick Shift on the Column along with the Tac
*Gas was 25 cents a gallon
*The grocer got all your groceries for you and used a long claw to get items off the high shelves.

Golly, I could go on and on...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remember when gas stations used to give things away like dishes and glasses? Or how every gas station used to have a garage and they would always clean your windshield and check your oil?
Nowadays, if you can understand the guy at the pumps, you're lucky.:bigroll:
Or how about the old slogan from McDonalds, "change back from your dollar" that referred to the price of a burger, fries and a coke.
Or how about going to the movies? I remember going with $1 and that's all I needed for the movie and a drink and popcorn.

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
Katshot said:
Remember when gas stations used to give things away like dishes and glasses? Or how every gas station used to have a garage and they would always clean your windshield and check your oil?
Nowadays, if you can understand the guy at the pumps, you're lucky.:bigroll:
Or how about the old slogan from McDonalds, "change back from your dollar" that referred to the price of a burger, fries and a coke.
Or how about going to the movies? I remember going with $1 and that's all I needed for the movie and a drink and popcorn.
S&H Green Stamps or Top Value Stamps
The Flubadub(what show?)
Froggy(HiYa Kids, HiYa)

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
VinnyT said:
Put a "dieseling" car in drive to kill the motor.
Just make sure you don't put it in 1st haha :p

- ZX Spectrum
- Heineken beer in yellow crates (or maybe you are not familiar with that?) Or even further back from wood. So you had to drink to keep your house warm...:p
- Gel was only to put in your hair
- no speed bumps
- smooth talking to your car and stroking the dash to make it start in cold weather
- chrome bumpers and skirts
- torsion bar suspension (lower your ride by the turn of a bolt)
- no mobile phone and answering machines
- kids playing outside
- Lunch in a lunch box from home
- Drafting on (chalk)paper with pencils; eraser and birdwing
- going to the library when you need info on something
- nothing really to worry about when you could smel some oil or gas from the car
- no computer controlled engine or no such thing as a DIC
- safety belts was an option
- tits were real
- a woman was unmistakingly really a woman
- you got coffee at the coffee shop
- Twix was a Raider
- Kids had respect for their parents. And you could actually get an ass whooping
- Strings were on your guitar and not in your ass
- Michael was black
- Music was not covered
- 'tape' your music from vinyl
- In Europe every country had their own currency. Now we have the Euro
- home made hamburgers
- they didn't shoot you for your nike's
- a keyboard was to hang your keys on or maybe an electric piano
- a mouse ate cheese
- a desktop was actually physically the desk where you now put your pc on
- a pc was started with a start-up floppy
- Pacman
- Black&White TV
- Monochrome monitors
- Only the highway, freeway and runway were asphalt (here though)
- the trains were on time
- board games
- no power brakes, no power steering, no power windows, no AC (or even heating! Ask VW Bug drivers), no cruise control, (that came later as standard or even option on European (mid size or economy) cars!)
- a dark brown colored car was cool
- booting and rebooting was if it didn't work you could make it work again by kicking it
- there used to be smoking sections in (some) planes and trains
- Boeing 747 was the biggest passenger airliner
- 472 and 500 cid engines
- Germany was separated in two
- Cold war and the fear for 'the bomb'
- Sylvester Stallone was cool
- TV action series where no one was actually hit by a bullet and people crawled out of a crashed vehicle practically unharmed (The A-Team, Airwolf, CHiP's, McGuyver, Knight Rider) were cool

Geez, shall I go on? :halo:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well, I remember when Naked Gun 33 1/3 came out, my youngest brother couldn't figure out why they called it 33 1/3, never saw an LP in his life!

How about analog radio tuners, most people under 25 have hardly ever touched one.

I've got several tube amplifiers, open chassis style. One of the neighbor kids saw one in use and asked what the funny lightbulbs were for and why they were so dim.

When Wayne's World (the movie) came out, and re-popularized Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, I heard kids talking about that awesome song "Bohemian Rap City". I remember thinking aw crap, this is pathetic. And I'm not even that old at 31, although my tastes and interests tend toward old[er] stuff when it comes to music and electronics.

Hey 70eldo, you're an Airwolf fan? Man that show kicked it. Definately my favorite 80's action series. A-Team was cool too.

About that dieseling bit that VinnyT Mentioned, that reminds me of a great story. About 1986, my parents had a 1983 Chevy Caprice wagon. The thing was a piece of crap, among other things it dieseled all the time.

Anyway my dad used it as a company car (plumbing business, he was the owner and estimator) and I rode with him sometimes in the summer when I was off school. So we were out looking at this job at a Catholic church to replace a bunch of water lines. We had parked the car out next to the church, and as always it dieseled when he shut it off. Of course he said "aw, it'll quit in a few seconds, don't worry about it" and we went inside to meet the maintenance man.

We must have been in there 10 or more minutes down in the basement when the housekeeper from the rectory comes running in screaming and carrying on that "there's a car out here that's gonna explode!" so Dad and I run out, and there's the car, and I mean the whole thing is shaking and shuddering like a mother.

Billows of black smoke were everywhere from the incomplete combustion - we joked later that people must have thought they were electing a new Pope. I should add this church was in one of the most affluent parts of town, every one drove brand new Cadillacs and Mercedes and here we were with our smoking, belching Chevy wagon. Truly an embarassing moment.

Must've been what inspired me to get a nice car later on in my life, I would cringe if I had to drive something like that around now.

KDirk

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
airbalancer said:
Actual using a slide rule in collage
I remember the slide rule! I remember when our math teacher brought in the First Texas Instrument Calculator. Didn't have many functions by today's standards. In a school group buy they cost us $15 back in the 50's. Today that calculator is the size of a credit card and for promos they give them away.

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
damnit, great way to make me feel old.... some way or another I can relate to alot of this stuff...

maybe being into classic cars and vintage home audio equipment does that to ya...sheesh, I gotta get with the times :)

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Argh! I may be one of the oldest members on here. Born in 1955. Is this thread supposed to make me feel better? :crybaby:

• Gas was $0.19 when I was in high school
  • My 59 Ford Skyliner with retractable hardtop had a tube radio that had to warm up
  • B&W TV - only one per household
  • 78 RPM records
  • Gay meant happy
  • I still have and operate my sliderule
  • My first 4-function calculator in Japan was over $100
  • cars
    • carbs (my GTO had 3)
    • dual point distributors
    • metal dashboards
    • no shoulder harness, sometimes no belt either
    • definitely no crumple zones
    • wing vents
    • no catalytic converters
  • typewriters and whiteout
  • mimeograph copies - no photocopy machines
  • rotary dial phones
  • In the Marines
    • boot camp we qualified with M14s. M16s came later
    • no cammies. just mean and green
    • no email, phone cards etc. we wrote letters. postage was free in the war zone though.
    • Anyone remember Viet Nam?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Night Wolf-

You're a big fan of vintage hi-fi? Wow another old-scool audio enthusiast! So, do you prefer a particular make? Personally I love Sansui - they were a smaller outfit than Pioneer Marantz and Kenwood, but they made some great sounding (and beautiful looking) gear.

Not much tube stuff by them unfortunately, they really didn't enter the US market heavily till the late 60's via US military guys in Vietnam buying stuff in the exchanges and sending it back home. Real quality stuff all around at least until about 1982/83, they really took a dive on product quality.

Of course, I'd love some classic McIntosh, but it doesn't agree with my budget. Maybe someday...

Oh, and what's this about feeling old? I see in your profile that you are 18! Geez, you're just a darn whippersnapper <chuckle>. FWIW, I've ben into old electronics since I was about 12, have always been fascinated by the stuff.

KDirk

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
Eldo brought back some memories. I remember how much fun the board games were. Checkers, Monopoly and playing Fish with cards. I remember us kids laying on the carpeted floor infront of our upright tube type radio and listening to "The Lone Ranger", "The Shadow" and Ted Mack's "Amateur Hour".

Kadshot I left you luv pts for the warm cozy feelings.:yup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Kdirk - that "dieseling" car was my father's: a 1973 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon with the 455. What a friggin beast! When he floored it, the exhaust sounded like a rocket. Loved it!

Good N Plenty commercial
Top loading VCR's
Beta max
Outside mounted TV antennas
Gear operated clock radios (Looked like LED numbers)
When RCA products were made in America:rolleyes:
Black Label beer

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Coke was still cola, and a "joint" was a bad place to be.

We had four TV stations. If the president was speaking, your evening was ruined.

Kids played baseball outside on the street or on the nearest vacant lot.

We used to play "smear the queer" at recess. It was kind of like football with no boundaries.

AM radio. Two stations, that's all you needed to know. If one wasn't playing something you liked, the other certainly was.

I knew a guy who had a "reverbrator" and it made his radio sound like it was echoing. Kind of a cool effect on a hot summer night.

Rap didn't exist.

"High speed" data connection meant 1200 baud.

Phone booths EVERYWHERE. Either the "drive-up" kind or the "sit down" kind.

Life was better before cell phones. Now people use them as a fashion accessory--and to show EVERYONE that they have something MORE IMPORTANT to do or be than whatever it is they're doing right now. I really don't care to hear their private conversations.

That's my new crusade--to embarrass the SH!T out of these people who stand in the middle of a crowd YELLING at someone on a cell phone.

Remember when they busted all those presidential aides for participating in a cover-up?

Oh yeah, that's still going on.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Isn't this cool!?
It's amazing how this kind of thing just takes off. Thanks for the points, I just hope everyone has fun posting memories, and others have fun reading them.
I was born in 1959 so you've only got me by 4 years EcSTSatic.
Robert, I LOVE those pictures of the cars. That was probably me favorite era in automotive design. I loved the chrome and curved glass. The low, wide stance. Ahh the good old days!

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
I remember when stereo was Very new. An AM station had a show called Jackson's Beat. Kinda like Dick Clark. They had two frequencies they could operate. Jackson said to get two AM radio and tune one to each frequency.
Wow, was that neat!! We take it for granted now. The only time I go to AM is to listen to National Public Radio(NPR).

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
shesh you guys are old! JUST KIDDING! :duck: if it makes you feel better iam listening to The Four tops...and the beach boys.....oooo buddy holly now.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
About this Discussion
88 Replies
25 Participants
AirJigga25