Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sagging radiator

When removing the splash guard under the truck, among other things we noticed sagging in the bottom of the radiator, as if someone grabbed the bottom middle potion and just pulled it down, it stretches from each end to the middle where its lowest. :mad2::mad::tisk::rant2:

·
Registered
SRX
29 Posts
It is failing and will soon leak. Been there. Time to replace it. As my supplier said when I picked up the new one, "so you too believed that "lifetime" statement.

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its clearly a design fault, as many years as GM has been in the business, a engineering error like this is no excuse. I think the SRX was a summer project for high school and first year engineering college students.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
687 Posts
Looks like my gut, the effect of gravity over time.

I assume the eventual failure is the transverse tube bond to side header plate cracks?

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course it stands to reason if you have a large object this size and weight with no middle support or stiffer frame, it will sag over time, anyone even without a engineer degree can figure that out. How many members have looked at the bottom portion of the radiator? It will probably last till complete failure, I recommend everyone and anyone who want to buy a SRX to pull off the splash shield and have a look, they built this truck with a miss match of metal, resulting in the weaker metal corroding before the metal it is mated to, parts that should be weather resistant under the truck is just cheap steel.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
I wonder if it could be saved or its life prolonged by installing an extra support bracket in the center of it.

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New rad is cheaper then the trouble of engineering something half ass like the construction/engineering of the SRX

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
958 Posts
I'm somewhat of a loss of what I'm looking at. I would appear there's an extra section added to the bottom which I've never seen before. The radiators I've seen in recent years have a U-channel top and bottom. Your photo suggest there is a channel at the bottom and a couple rows up.
A few month after I bought the SRX in 2007 I was curious how the transmission cooler fit between the radiator and ac condenser. Post #11 in this thread shows a photo I took.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-first-generation-forum-2004/115162-tow-package-pics.html
While the photo's angle wouldn't show any bowing when I had the splash guard off, none was apparent. Also I don't recall but one u-channel at the bottom.
Within the next month I'll be replacing my ac condenser so I can get a good look at the radiator.
You might check if any local parts stores has your radiator in stock and compare it's appearance with yours.
I will say my own observations are there's nothing unusual about the radiator or it's construction in my 07.
I hope you are successful in getting it resolved.

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks,looked at one already, straight and square, for now its not a show stopper, need to replace the power steering pressure hose, like this its sellable as long as they do not look

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rad starting to show signs of leak down where the bow is, not a show stopper but a leak none the less, time for a new rad, not a wallet breaker from rockauto but another pain in the ass DIY repair.

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fixed, hell of a DIY job. But better in my pocket then a stealers! I still have not made up my mind to keep this truck or give it away, been putting too much sweat into this paper weight.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2005 STS 1SG, 2005 STS 1SC, 2004 SRX AWD MRC
108 Posts
! I still have not made up my mind to keep this truck or give it away, been putting too much sweat into this paper weight.
The more you work on it the more you'll love it.

It will grow on you.... like a fungus!

Edit: removed the squirming cat, it was annoying after awhile.

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can buy a cheap fungus spray, unless you are DIY and like to piddle then OK, but it gets old every few hundred miles. But thanks for the uplift.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts