Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bouncy:
My 1994 SLS does not show any codes nor is the "Service Ride Control" message showing up on the DIC. This being said, sometimes when driving on the highway or in town, will get very bouncy after hitting a bump. It basically feels like the struts have gone bad and it's bouncing on the springs.

If the struts are bad, shouldn't there be some codes in the computer or the "Service Ride Control" message?

I have been looking into the passive struts. As far as I can tell, the "Service Ride Control" message will be on all the time if the car has passive struts installed. I believe the strut kit from Boston Suspension comes with something to get rid of the message. Does anyone know what comes with the kit to get rid of the message and/or codes? Anyone with experience with this kit who can enlighten me? I didn't pay much for this car, although, it is a nice car, and I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a decent ride.

Also, with passive struts on the rear, is the load leveling rendered inoperative or is this an independant system? I think the rear stryts are actually okay. Can the rear struts be left alone and only change the fronts os do all four have to be changed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adrian

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Personally, Id think youd want to replace all 4 at the same time.... I suppose you could try replacing just the fronts.....

In regards to your problem, it may be one of the struts has sprung a leak (air leak)... You might have it looked at to inspect the air lines to make sure everything is setup right.....

You can also, through the DIC disable the service ride control message... Basically what you do is enter commands into the computer and it no longer looks for the system at all.....

The strut kit you are referring to has gotten very good reviews here.... I suggest you try it!

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
mine wallows a bit too out of the front end , after fighting with the service suspesnion codes for 4 months now im concidering passive struts too , if you go with passives up front and do the suspesion computer bypass kit you should be fine , the load leveling in the rear will be ok , ive driven mine without the ride controll module in it and the rear still levels and the compressor kicks on and off as normal ,

there isnt any air lines that go to the front end , the struts have soleniods in the top that chage the damper rate by chageing the shock valveing via the ride controll computer , just be happy you dont have a 90s lincolin continatil, they have air struts and shocks all the way around , and they are a mess when things go wrong

"You can also, through the DIC disable the service ride control message... Basically what you do is enter commands into the computer and it no longer looks for the system at all....."

this works on the allante , and even then it is speculative , in order for this to work the computer bypass kit needs installed , sells for around 65 bucks , consists of a resistor and a relay and a few other little bits

1 - 3 of 3 Posts