Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
none
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My gramps has a 1997 DeVille that he brags about all the time. I finally drove the thing and when you get on the highway it bounces like a freakin basketball. He says he got a price to replace the struts and it was like $3000. I've heard the only reason it's so high is because of some electro-assist technology or something. Is there a standard strut you can put in this thing that won't cost so much? Also, how hard is it to do the replacement? I'm a decent mechanic, but I've only worked on air cooled VW's and hondas.

I appreciate any help, and so will granddad.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,119 Posts
I had a '97 Deville and I doubt that he has active (electronic) struts. You should be able to find replacements anywhere. They are not that hard to replace. Just get it aligned afterwords.

When you say like a basketball, do you mean a tire bounce or the car floating? A tire bounce (vibration) is a simple balance job. How many miles on this car?

·
Registered
none
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the car that's actually bouncing. For example, if you hit a bump in the road the body will bounce a few times before it settles down again. You're right, I checked online and the struts aren't that bad, about $169 a piece. Is there a way to troubleshoot which ones are bad, the left or right, or is it best to just replace both? I think the car has about 70k on it.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Super Moderator
87,119 Posts
They must have been a hard 70,000 miles. My '97 had 107 and my '92 had 125 and still had the OEM struts. ALWAYS replace them in pairs.

·
Registered
none
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's retired and he barely drives anywhere. Golfing on Wednesdays and poker on Saturday nights. Okay, so I'll get them online, I found them at rockauto.com, and I have the chilton cadillac service manual coming, and hopefully I'll be able to get this done. How much time should I set aside for this job? Any tricks I should know about? Do I need any other parts, nuts, bolts etc when I replace them?

Thanks for the help Ranger.

Chad

·
Registered
none
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He just takes it to golf on wednesday mornings and poker on wednesday nights. And maybe to the grocery store. Anyway, I have the Chilton repair manual coming, will that be enough to get me through the replacement? Are there any shortcuts, or special things I should look for? Also, bad struts would be causing this bouncing right?

Thanks guys,

Chad

·
Registered
none
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I was thinking. He doesn't drive much though, he's retired and just drives around town. Anyway, the bouncing I described does sound like worn struts right? As far as the replacing procedure goes are there any special steps I should know about, any shortcuts or things to look out for?

Thanks,
Chad

·
Super Moderator
87,119 Posts
You will need a spring compressor to remove the spring from the old strut and put it on the new one. Then you'll have to get it aligned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts