Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm really enjoying the 2004 DTS so when this one came up we jumped on it as our daughter's 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis needs a good cleaning of the fuel system (intermittent issues) and she really enjoys driving our '04.

$2K Canadian. Has 200K KM on the clock was a no-start so the seller figured they'd sell low to get it off their property.

There's a bit of rust in the dog leg at the bottom on both sides that we can address. The bottom is clean with surface rust on metal components.

There's some oil sweat on the bottom back of the pan without drops that I need to take a closer look at. The appearance cover was taken off to have a closer look and in anticipation of the starter change with no oil sweat that I can see from either bank.

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

We'll look at replacing the front clip, and probably the hood that was bumped by the original owner, once we get her running and an oil change done.

The previous owner was pretty meticulous with care as was the original owner. The interior is in pretty much new condition other than a bit of wear on the driver's seat.

As a side note, it is interesting to see the little, and not so little, changes between the previous generation and this one. I've been reading up on them via the various changelog posts on this forum.

These cars are something else and may be habit forming. :D

EDIT 2022-08-06: Started a thread on the troubleshooting process here: 2006 DTS No Start Troubleshooting

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
89,123 Posts
As a side note, it is interesting to see the little, and not so little, changes between the previous generation and this one.
Note post #14 & 18 in this thread regarding some of the differences from the previous generation to this one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Note post #14 & 18 in this thread regarding some of the differences from the previous generation to this one.
One more to add to the list in the two posts: Fuel Door is no longer remotely actuated which is too bad. Fuel theft is a thing at $2/Litre here and I'm sure down there too. Might be a locking gas cap in our future.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Starter replaced. Intake was sopping so took a bit to clean out.

Fresh gaskets and a valley cleaning was needed.

Everything looked great once back together but still no-start.

Ground is good to the block via + on the fuse box and the - strap by the power steering pump.

+ lead to the starter was 12V with probe there and in the valley as well as making sure via the firewall.

I don't understand the metal plate comment under the seat fuse box comment in the no-start thread here: 2007 DTS no crank no start (@Rjmichael)?

AFAICT there's good continuity throughout the system so I started into the fuses and relays under the hood.

R4 (IIRC) had some strange almost green corrosion on one of the forks and in its hole in the fuse box. It looks almost like a battery terminal does with frost/corrosion. So, next step is to pull ground and disassemble the fuse box to see what's going on underneath. I plan on picking up a couple 3614 Relays from the dealer on the way home today too.

Looks like I'm in for a bit of an adventure hunting for the cause.

Warnings do come up on the dash so I'm thinking the ECM is okay. I'll plug in our reader to see if it gives me any clues as well.

The intake got a good cleaning inside and out while out of the car. I took my time removing so it took an afternoon. Putting it back together went fairly quick.

The rubber grommet needs to be pushed right up against the intake running runner so that its lip is not even. That makes it easier to slip on to the throttle body. Otherwise, it's a biatch. :p

BTW, am using Duck Duck Go with a site search to find info on the no-start as well as the starter change. Excellent stuff here thank you. :)
Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Auto part Gas Automotive exterior

A little mystery nipple:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Finally put together. I had to dig out the in/lb torque wrench to tighten down the manifold. I didn't realize the big one only went down to 10ft/lbs.
Automotive air manifold Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Gas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts