Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put a post earlier about leaving the timing light on my car and cranking it and it wont start now i tried jumping the starter but nothing , well i boaght a new starter nd the car wont start ive tried jumping the starter but no good . im wondering when i left the timing light on hte car could i have burned out the coil or something how do i check the coil or what could the problem be thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sometimes (not always) the solenoid clicks but then nothing happens how would i check for continuality? sometimes the lights work sometimes they dont could i have damaged the ignition switch by leaving the timing light on while cranking ? wheres the starter switch? thanks

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I really do not think the timing light could have damaged anything. If anything, I think the timing light itself would get damaged.

Are you sure your battery is ok, being sometimes the lights don't work.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
To check continuity you need a multimeter, set to Ohms. Put one lead on one end of the wire to be tested and the other lead on the other end of the wire. The wire would need to be disconnected from the system. If the wire is good, the reading on the meter should zero out. This is used to test the wire for breaks.

Find anything yet?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Check the starter solenoid. Using a multi-meter, look for 12vdc across the output contact (to gnd) when the coil energizes. If not, measure the coil resistance. Good luck!

CC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts