Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started back in April when my father was looking for a car to replace his trusty, but very rough and old '79 GMC van. His first idea was another van, but then he remembered how much he liked the mid-90's Caddy Fleetwoods. We set out on a search within a considerable distance, but found nothing. Then, on a whim, he decided to stop at a very small used car dealer that usually only has Buicks & Cadillacs, and found a Roadmaster. It was a '92 Limited with 183k miles (even I thought it was too much at first!), white with a 1/3 white vinyl roof, aluminum wheels, and a red leather interior. The guy wanted $2,900, and after trade, we drove away in it for only $2,500! Despite the mileage, there was NOTHING wrong with it, except for needing a good detail job--I'm a detailer on the side, so that was no problem either.

We had it for about a month, and my dad was loving it more everyday, when one day we saw a dark burgundy '93 or '94 Fleetwood Brougham when we were out shopping, and I said "Those are nice. I'd drive one." Little did I know he'd respond and say, "Well, maybe we should start looking for one and I'll get rid of my Chevelle". The Chevelle of course, was a 1969 Malibu that he had bought exactly 3 years ago, and swore he'd never get rid of. We put it up for sale a few days later. It took a while, and we got several calls, but we finally sold it to a woman who wanted it for her husband on their anniversary.

We started looking at Fleetwoods immediately as its replacement. The first was a black on black "base" in D.C., with 107k miles for $4,500. Mechanically and inside, it was nice, but the outside had several dings up the side, a few of the moldings were banged up, and a few other details could have been better. Kept it in mind, but continued looking. Next was a black on black '93 Brougham with a sunroof and 107k too, but it was in need of an oil change, the transmission fluid was mucky, the lower chrome panels were coming loose, several of the moldings were rough, and the paint looked faded. Not impressed at all, so we moved on. The next was a '93 black on tan base, this one with 97k miles, but it terrible shape. Sticky, dirty interior, faded paint, bad moldings, etc.,etc.--it was looking pretty grim. That night, I went on the net for my usual "Fleetwood search" and found a newly added one in Bethesda, MD. '93 Brougham, white, 88k miles, and several new parts. Called, and went to look at it the next day--and wrote a check after only 5 minutes. This one was in much, much better condition than the others, had less miles, was white (much easier maintenance), and was obviously better maintained.

The seller told us it was specially ordered by his father in Florida back in '93 (there's a gold Cadillac plaque with his name on the dash), was then given to him, but then began to be too large and hard to park. He told us that it was taken in twice a year to the Caddy dealer where he told them to fix or replace anything that needed it. To the eye, the only problem was how filthy the outside was (I attached a pic). Not a big problem however, just like the Buick, only worse.

We just picked it up last Saturday. Thankfully, he had gotten it cleaned before we picked it up, and while not to my standards, was much better than before. I detailed it, and have driven it a few times and LOVE IT! So far, just two minor issues to report. One, the front brake pads will need to be replaced soon. Second, there is a small oil drip from around the oil cooler (above the filter), but that is just a seal that needs to be replaced.

Both it and our Roadmaster are identical colors, inside and out. The only thing I don't like is that it seems to be a little louder than the Buick on the road, but I think that's mainly the off-brand tires on it that we plan on replacing in the next year.

My only other issue is that it came with no remote key fobs, so I ordered a set of 2 off Ebay for only $25 shipped. Now I just need to figure out how to program them! I have the instructions, but haven't yet found the right wire in the trunk. Oh well, I have a few days!

Just wanted to say hi, and post some pics of our new ride! I'll post the pics tomorrow!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Welcome...... And it sounds like a great find!!! I wish my car was taken into the dealer 2 times a year and have them replace everything that need it!!!!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Congrats. Are you sure it came with RKE (remote keyless entry)? Not all Caddys came with it back then. I believe the RPO was "AU0". If that is NOT on the SPID label in the trunk, you DO NOT have a RKE system and the key fobs are useless to you. If in doubt, you can check with a local dealer to verify whether your car has it or not.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Welcome aboard, CaddyCruiser! And thank you for signing up.. I'm glad to hear you found a nice Fleetwood! As soon as I sell my Vette, I'll be looking for a Brougham.. The '95 is my top pick but I'd take a nice '93 any day...

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome! I'll be posting pics tonight--the car is gorgeous! We just made an appointment for Friday to have the front brake pads replaced and the slight oil leak fixed. I hope they do everything right and are gentle with our new baby--another garage we took the Buick to a couple of months ago cracked all the chrome covers off the driver's side seat lumbar switches. Not a big deal, but I notice it!

I just got the remotes in the mail tonight. I'm going out right now to see if it actually has provisions for RKE, now that I know it might not....I sure hope it does. I couldn't find the right wire for the past few days, and this might be why :suspense:

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went out again tonight, and once again, no programming connector wires to be found. I found no loose wire--everything is connected. Also, I looked for that code "AUO" on the trunk lid label, but it isn't there. We asked the guy we bought it from, and he said that all he could think of is that his father ordered the car without them--no way, according to my information. He even thought it was strange, because he had several older Caddy's that had RKE standard. I did, and still do think that his father (whose name is still on the dash plaque) just lost them somewhere in Florida.

On every piece of information I have, including very exact standard feature lists, RKE is a standard Fleetwood feature and has been since 1993 (and probably before). The Fleetwood is the flagship, and I can't imagine it not having such a common convenience.

Now, if someone who has done this before would please give me proper instructions, I might be able to get the remotes programmed. I have the instructions from the AWH website, a few notes from someone on another Caddy board, and a third set of directions completely different from the first two from someone else. Does anyone know the right way to do it!?

Oh, by the way, pics are on the way in about an hour! :D

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also forgot to say, the car was advertised for only $4,750. It had been listed Friday, and this was Saturday. We called that night, went Sunday morning, and wrote a check for only $4,500! He had said someone else wanted to look at it that afternoon, and we knew if we didn't cut a check right then and there, we'd lose it. The condition of the car was that much higher than all the rest.

Pics are coming!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pics!

Here's one after some mud running, the day we looked at it. I asked where it all came from, and all he did was smile and say "it rained a lot lately". Okay, fine, but where did the mud come from!?

It was NASTY outside, very clean inside. The white vinyl roof was also mildewed blackish. Some bleach and a scrub brush fixed that!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love this deep red leather interior...the same as our matching white Roadmaster. More unique than the typical black, gray, or tan!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I'm not kidding. The RKE was an option. We had a loaded '94 Brougham WITHOUT RKE. The module is on the back deck directly ahead of the high-mount brake light, and under the upholstered panel. I'll look up the programming procedure in the AM for you.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more, then I'll put all the rest (a lot!) in another album and post the link. This one shows both the '93 Fleetwood and our '92 Roadmaster; both the same white outside and the same red on the inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's directly under the center rear light? I've been searching to the left of the left side hinge, because that's where my instructions said to look. I have all the rest of the instructions, I just need to find the module, if it's even there. What does it look like? How do I "short" it?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
caddycruiser said:
I love this deep red leather interior...the same as our matching white Roadmaster. More unique than the typical black, gray, or tan!
RED INTERIOR!!!! :shocked2:

Thats not something...... I can handle :vomit:

Sorry, but I do like the outside.......

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
caddycruiser said:
It's directly under the center rear light? I've been searching to the left of the left side hinge, because that's where my instructions said to look. I have all the rest of the instructions, I just need to find the module, if it's even there. What does it look like? How do I "short" it?
It's under the carpeted top piece, not under the shelf. You access it from inside the car, not inside the trunk.

Programming is done by grounding the "Programming Connector" located in the trunk attached to the left side brace behind the carpeted trim panel.
If you don't have the harness there, you don't have RKE installed on your car.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
14 Participants
caddycruiser