Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 76 Sedan Deville from a guy on another message board that I'm on. In any event, I got a pretty smokin deal on the car (I think?). I paid a grand for it (that would be the 1st question.. good deal? or not?), and drove it from North Los Angeles to San Diego with no problems..

Put some tires on the car.. Flushed the engine, and oil change, change the tranny fluid, etc.. etc.. The car has a couple leaks, but no big deal. The car has a little bit of a rough idle, so I changed the spark plugs, wires, air filter etc.. In any event, tried to lay with the idle adjustment mixtures a little bit and couldn't get it to settle down. Finally gave up and took it to a mechanic. There's a vacuum leak under the dash (you can hear a hissing when the cars idling)..

So the mechanic tells me that this is a Vacuum Controlled parking brake switch.. Now here's question #1.. Without me crawling up under the dash, is the parking brake release really vacuum controlled?

So I figure since it's down there I have the compression checked etc.. Everythings good to go. The motor is solid so I'm pretty stoked on that. I tell him to track down the leaks and give me a quote.. The price came back pretty reasonable so we proceed.

Now I'm getting into the Heater / AC portion of things.. and I have a more general question. Question #2Is there anyone on here that's "intimately" familiar with this old auto climate control system?

3rdly, anyone know where to pick up some new / or really good shape leather seats for my car? Or is it better to just have them reupholstered?

Will post pics of the Caddy as soon as I get it back from the shop..

RD

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
I can answer the parking brake. It sure is vacuum controlled, it should release the brake when you move the gear selector out of park. If the vacuum release is broken, there should be a little metal manual release or a pull lever, depending. Congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
90Brougham350 said:
I can answer the parking brake. It sure is vacuum controlled, it should release the brake when you move the gear selector out of park. If the vacuum release is broken, there should be a little metal manual release or a pull lever, depending. Congrats on the purchase!
I appreciate the quick response! It's interesting to see that alot of the so called "cutting edge" features on my Lincoln are in my old 76 Cadillac.. LOL

RD

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Mine on my 94 doesn't worky either. The switch must be bad or have a line broken. The actuator is good, I checked it with my handy dandy vacuum pump.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The mechanic told me the switch is bad on mine.. Said it's about 120 bucks for the part. That sounded fair to me being that the car is about 30 years old.. I figured they probably don't shelf those parts anymore.

I'm missing a trim peace that goes beneath the tail lights and above the bumper.. Just wondering if there's an online caddy parts store or something for vintage caddy's.. I'm expecting to have to get most of this stuff from junkyards etc.. but atleast some idea of pricing would be nice.. as well if their competitive I'd rather pay shipping then pulling parts in a junk yard.

RD

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the same car! I bought mine 3 months ago from my neighbor, a 92 year old man, original owner, it was in his garage for years. 60k miles on it. I gave her a tune up and changed all fluids and replaced shocks. I paid $300.00 for the car and put another $700.00 into it. In the spring I will fix the only 2 tiny rust spots on the lower quarters, and have the new rear bumper fillers I ordered put in, and compound out the old paint and wax her. She runs great though. Do you plan to use yours for a daily driver? Take a look at some of the pics

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's about the same shape mine is in, except the interior on yours looks considerably better. I don't have any rust spots, but there's a small dent behind the back tires, and right behind the front tire as well. I'm pretty sure both can be rolled out without much of a problem.

Mine has wheel covers over the back tires though. I wonder if that was an option back in the day?

After I 1st bought it, I put about 300 bucks into it with changing fluids, spark plugs, cap and rotor etc.. and now I just put another 1600 into it down at the shop getting the heater core replaced, fixing some leaks, etc.. etc.. I planned on keeping it just to cruise around, becuase over all the car is in great shape.. (Interior is rotted though.. leather interior doesn't seem to hold up as well to the years as the cloth). After looking the car over myself, and talking to the mechanic about it.. We both agree that the odometer most likely didn't "roll over." So I'm fairly confident the car only has 27,000 miles on it. I just sent away for a mileage history to the DMV so I will know that for sure here in the near future.. The compression is perfect though, and everything "mechanical" on the car is perfect.. I'd be confident in driving the thing across country tomorrow..

The more I think about it though, I think I'm going to just sell it, and get an older 60's cadillac. I should've jumped on this one when I had the chance, but the owner just sold it. I didn't have the cash in hand to buy it yet..

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/1/2/81524812.htm

Seems like for what I'm getting ready to put into this one to restore it, I'd rather have a "classic" in pretty good shape with the fins..

·
Registered
1970 Sedan deVille hardtop
595 Posts
haha, just bought it and going to turn around and sell it? Yours is the last year of the 500 though. Right before they "downsized" the cars to 425's and small bodies. Cadillac also started sharing alot more parts with the rest of GM after '76 :(

No idea about the climate controll. The system on my '70 SDV works and I leave it at that. I took the dash mostly apart when I first got it to fix taillights that didn't work (loose connector) and the number of vacuum hoses for that system scared me. Plus the fact that I don't have a FSM, so no schematics on how to get it back together.

I gotta agree about the older ones looking better. That '76 dash would really bug me. '70 is about the last year for fins front and rear. Yes, the fenders have definite peaks that I think of fins.
Honestly though, hang on to this car for awhile and enjoy it. Even if it doesn't have the same style, it's still a Caddy and that's cool. Heck, if nothing else, just wait a bit so a potential buyer won't think you are selling it right away because there is something wrong with it. When you go looking for a classic, try and find a hardtop (unless it's a 'vert) the hardtop look is super nice, and it's a blast on a hot day with all the windows down!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a 66 coupe de ville that I really like.. Looks to be pretty sharp all n all.. Although I have to admit I really want a 60 - 64 and I think I would prefer a 4 door.

Your right about turning around and selling the car. I worry someone would think something is wrong with it. Plus I'm kind of a "sap" when it comes to cars.. I look at this one, and ask myself who would let there car sit outside like this? Who would "abuse" it like this.. and I start fixing things on it. Then you get attached. Ultimately though while this car is bitchen.. And it certainly does have a John Gotti feel to it. It's not the "classic" that I want for a weekend car.. I want something... I dunno. Out of an era.. (and yes I know the 70's were an era.. ;) :D)

RD

·
Registered
1987 Brougham 1978 Seville
254 Posts
RiverDave said:
That's about the same shape mine is in, except the interior on yours looks considerably better. I don't have any rust spots, but there's a small dent behind the back tires, and right behind the front tire as well. I'm pretty sure both can be rolled out without much of a problem.

Mine has wheel covers over the back tires though. I wonder if that was an option back in the day?

After I 1st bought it, I put about 300 bucks into it with changing fluids, spark plugs, cap and rotor etc.. and now I just put another 1600 into it down at the shop getting the heater core replaced, fixing some leaks, etc.. etc.. I planned on keeping it just to cruise around, becuase over all the car is in great shape.. (Interior is rotted though.. leather interior doesn't seem to hold up as well to the years as the cloth). After looking the car over myself, and talking to the mechanic about it.. We both agree that the odometer most likely didn't "roll over." So I'm fairly confident the car only has 27,000 miles on it. I just sent away for a mileage history to the DMV so I will know that for sure here in the near future.. The compression is perfect though, and everything "mechanical" on the car is perfect.. I'd be confident in driving the thing across country tomorrow..

The more I think about it though, I think I'm going to just sell it, and get an older 60's cadillac. I should've jumped on this one when I had the chance, but the owner just sold it. I didn't have the cash in hand to buy it yet..

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/1/2/81524812.htm

Seems like for what I'm getting ready to put into this one to restore it, I'd rather have a "classic" in pretty good shape with the fins..

The rear wheel covers or "Fender Shirts" were standard on the Devilles and Fleetwoods models in 1976. They were not available again until 1989 on the smaller fwd Fleetwoods

1 - 10 of 10 Posts