Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS Performance Wagon
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the looks of my new 2010 wagon, especially since they are not very common. 50,000 miles, seems in great shape except they must have damaged the wheel hub when putting on the new brakes and tires so I need that fixed tomorrow. From reading the forum that seems like a common problem, it set off the ABS, Stability, and traction warnings.

My first Cadillac-Driven Audi's the last 30 years. Repairs won't scare me, just got rid of my A8 with 245,000 miles.

Here are my first day questions, Please weigh in if you have any comments or suggestions:

1 Navigation. It seems awkward and out of date. Are there upgrades? Can I do it myself from a DVD? The Audi had one dial that seemed easier to maneuver than this touch screen.

2 Trailer Hitch. I see there is a kit on eBay but only for a 1 1/4 receiver. I just need to move trailers around the yard, nothing major. Anyone have one on a wagon? Are they ugly?

3 TPMS. I see on the screen my tire pressure is way off but the tires were new yesterday. I assume there is a way to reset the pressure but I haven't found it.

4 Zipper in the back seat? Why do the back seats have a zipper in the material? Only reason I could think of is if you were handcuffed back there you could hide your stash.

5 Any recalls on the 2010 I should know about?

6 Spare key. Only got one key and FOB with the car. Can I buy the blank on eBay and have it cut or is there chip protection I need to worry about. Is it possible to lock keys in the car?

Other than that I love the car, beautiful interior and love the lines of the wagon. Looking forward to your comments.
Joe

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,172 Posts
Love the looks of my new 2010 wagon, especially since they are not very common. 50,000 miles, seems in great shape except they must have damaged the wheel hub when putting on the new brakes and tires so I need that fixed tomorrow. From reading the forum that seems like a common problem, it set off the ABS, Stability, and traction warnings.

My first Cadillac-Driven Audi's the last 30 years. Repairs won't scare me, just got rid of my A8 with 245,000 miles.

Here are my first day questions, Please weigh in if you have any comments or suggestions:

1 Navigation. It seems awkward and out of date. Are there upgrades? Can I do it myself from a DVD? The Audi had one dial that seemed easier to maneuver than this touch screen.

2 Trailer Hitch. I see there is a kit on eBay but only for a 1 1/4 receiver. I just need to move trailers around the yard, nothing major. Anyone have one on a wagon? Are they ugly?

3 TPMS. I see on the screen my tire pressure is way off but the tires were new yesterday. I assume there is a way to reset the pressure but I haven't found it.

4 Zipper in the back seat? Why do the back seats have a zipper in the material? Only reason I could think of is if you were handcuffed back there you could hide your stash.

5 Any recalls on the 2010 I should know about?

6 Spare key. Only got one key and FOB with the car. Can I buy the blank on eBay and have it cut or is there chip protection I need to worry about. Is it possible to lock keys in the car?

Other than that I love the car, beautiful interior and love the lines of the wagon. Looking forward to your comments.
Joe
Joe, congrats on your new ride. I also have a '10 Performance wagon and I love it. About your car:
1. Yes, our Nav sucks. There are update discs available for something like a couple of hundred bucks - a rip off. Use Waze or your Garmin instead. The disc takes forever to install and there is the risk of your hard drive messing up.
2. I have seen a hitch on our whips. It is not too bad, for a hitch that is. And it is only the small one for lighter loads. Wiring Your Wagon for Towing

The 3 attached photos in link below help visualize things. Photo 1665 shows the harness where it has to be inserted in front of the battery. Photo 1666 shows the trailer harness from the battery compartment into the tray above the spare tire and draped over the bumper ready for use. The last photo 1667 was taken looking straight up into the area in front of the right muffler where you can also see the right rear tire and plastic inner wheel well. Visible is the supplied Cadillac 4-wire trailer wires that are pre-wired into the body harness. Connect the trailer wires that you have pushed through from the battery compartment in this area. To connect them I recommend soldering and insulating well with heat shrink material. All you need is a few feet of flat 4 wire male prong harness available at any parts store. If you have to disassemble any part of your caddy or cut any wire then something is being done wrong! The nice folks at Cadillac made it easy for us. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/226117-wiring-your-wagon-towing.html
3. Buy a quality digital pressure gauge and put the proper tire pressure in your cold tires. Then check your tpms to see how far off it may be. Now you know.
4. Yes, those secret compartments are for your stash. WAIT, moderator remove that incriminating statement! Just kidding, of course (but, honestly, that was my first thought as well!). Actually, when you unzip those, there is the locking tether hook for a child car seat. Or to hide your stash, whatever works.
5. The only one I have had is for my ignition key. I have ignored it. But you can check here: www.recalls.gm.com Just type in your VIN.
6. If you have the manual remote and not the keyless type, I would get a new key and fob. There have been a few threads on the forum about aftermarket purchases. I am not sure what to tell you.

Welcome aboard. And, by the way, :postpics:

·
Registered
2010 Black CTS 3.6L RWD , 2010 Silver CTS 3.6L RWD
51 Posts
3. If tpms is off after doing the above do a recalibration on the system, it is described in the owners manual. I done mine and worked perfectly.
6. If you have keyless type I would get a 2nd remote/key or you will be royally screwed if you damage or loose the remote. I guess I got lucky as one of my cars (bot keyless) ad 3 remotes included.

----------

P.S. I wouldn't worry too much about the hubs, they are cheap if aftermarket and I have 53km on one car and 103km on the other and all original hubs so far. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
caddie2.JPG

Thanks for your suggestions and comments. I'll see if I can get the TPMS recalibrated tomorrow.

Joe

·
Registered
CTS
22 Posts
Hopefully you bought your new to you Caddy from a Cadillac or GM dealership and you bought the GMPP extended warranty with it.
If not I'd recommend you go back to the dealer and buy the longest warranty you can. Should be a 3 year/36,009 mile GMPP warrenty. Get the $0 deductible.
No matter what car you buy, Cadillac, Honda, whatever, always get the warranty if you plan on driving it.

Also, I've heard from a buddy of mine who's been a technician at GM shops for the last 30 years that if you bring in your car to a dealer within either 1,000 or 500 miles of the warranty expiring, you can re-up and get another extended earrabty. He told me about this a couple years back when I bought a used 2010 CTS in 2013.
Always buy a GMPP extended warranty with any new and especially used GM product.
And if you sale the car before your warranty expires, you can go to a dealer and sale them the remaining warranty on the car at a prorated price of course.
Congratulations on your new to you Cadillac purchase.

·
Registered
2012 CTS, thunder grey chromaflair
120 Posts
Hopefully you bought your new to you Caddy from a Cadillac or GM dealership and you bought the GMPP extended warranty with it.
If not I'd recommend you go back to the dealer and buy the longest warranty you can. Should be a 3 year/36,009 mile GMPP warrenty. Get the $0 deductible.
No matter what car you buy, Cadillac, Honda, whatever, always get the warranty if you plan on driving it.

Also, I've heard from a buddy of mine who's been a technician at GM shops for the last 30 years that if you bring in your car to a dealer within either 1,000 or 500 miles of the warranty expiring, you can re-up and get another extended earrabty. He told me about this a couple years back when I bought a used 2010 CTS in 2013.
Always buy a GMPP extended warranty with any new and especially used GM product.
And if you sale the car before your warranty expires, you can go to a dealer and sale them the remaining warranty on the car at a prorated price of course.
Congratulations on your new to you Cadillac purchase.
My interpretation from that is these cars break down a lot! Even if it cost you 5 grand to buy the extended warranty, your repair cost will be well over that in the amount of time it covers. Really?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,172 Posts
88,000 miles and I have maybe $1000 max out of pocket. Of course that does not include normal maintenance items.

·
Registered
2010 Black CTS 3.6L RWD , 2010 Silver CTS 3.6L RWD
51 Posts
Trust me that many will not agree on the warranty purchase. I was offered it and after reading the fine print of what it DOES NOT cover, I declined.
My interpretation from that is these cars break down a lot! Even if it cost you 5 grand to buy the extended warranty, your repair cost will be well over that in the amount of time it covers. Really?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Jersey Mark, I was looking for a 4wd wagon after we wrecked my A6 avant and that's when I first saw the CTS wagon I loved the lines and that it didn't look like every other car out there. It's a very limited market. I have the performance model so I miss a few things like parking sensors, backup camera etc but I love the ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts