Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 deville
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in 3 weeks I plan on taking my car from Boston to Orlando. I'm not stopping, just getting in and going. 20+ hours. Me, girlfriend, Cadillac, Red Bull, and 95.

Car is a 97 base deville, 135k. I've had it 2 years and it's been GREAT to me.

Little nervous about doing 1300 miles in a day, only to do 1300 more on the way back.

I'll be changing the oil, coolant, and atf before the trip.

Any advice, in regards to the car, driving route, or otherwise? (Other than flying...)

I'll definitely be stopping to see Pedro, it's tradition.

PS: its good to be back...i think?

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
If you've never changed the serpentine belt, you might want to have that done.

In May, I drove my '91 DeVille with 230,000 miles on it 4,000 miles round-trip from Oregon to Iowa for the national meet (3 1/2 days going; 3 days back). The car performed flawlessly and even averaged 23 MPG going over the Rockies with the A/C on most of the time and the cruise set at 70-75.

Have a good trip!

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
So in 3 weeks I plan on taking my car from Boston to Orlando. I'm not stopping, just getting in and going. 20+ hours. Me, girlfriend, Cadillac, Red Bull, and 95.

Car is a 97 base deville, 135k. I've had it 2 years and it's been GREAT to me.

Little nervous about doing 1300 miles in a day, only to do 1300 more on the way back.

I'll be changing the oil, coolant, and atf before the trip.

Any advice, in regards to the car, driving route, or otherwise? (Other than flying...)

I'll definitely be stopping to see Pedro, it's tradition.

PS: its good to be back...i think?
If you're leaving on a weekday, late night is best. Leave by 11PM and you get through the Northeast corridor before rush hour the next morning. And then you should be good the rest of the way.

Don't heitate to get off of I-95 if it slows down in the Carolina's. Rte 301 in NC and Rte 15 in SC are both fast alternates. And make sure you bring an atlas.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,982 Posts
If the trans fluid has never been changed (not flushed) your due.

·
Registered
95 FWB
203 Posts
Belt, water, wheel nuts free and torqued up correctly. Good wheel wrench. Jack that works and a block to put under it for soft ground. A gallon of distilled water in the trunk to cover rad, washers, and you on a hot day.:)

Huh! A week before I left Tx for the Fl Keys, the alternator went out. I rushed it to a local guy that repairs them while you wait. Bearings, brushes and diode block. $60.

I practiced changing my Serpentine belt, and took the old one with me as a spare. On the FWB, you can almost stand in the engine bay so no problems for space to work.

I also changed the wheel bearings on the front. I don't know why, but I had a gut feeling about it. When I knocked out the old ones, the pressed in bit was Factory, but the outer races were Chinese. The guy that owned it would never have guessed.

3500 miles and not a drop of water or oil. Shortly after getting home, the rear seal went, letting Hypoid oil out of the dif.

Dear old car. Had its faults either side of a loooooong drive.

Edit.....I almost forgot. The harmonic pulley on the crank became delaminated as well. That would've been tedious on a long run, so look at the strip of rubber between the inner and outer castings and make sure that the outer [grooved] part is running true. If its wobbling, change it, $67 after market. Take care. I got a Doorman part and the hole in the middle was too big by .5mm This is really dangerous in my opinion. They have not answered my e-mail on the subject yet.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts