Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I am thinking of buying my father's mother-in-law's 1989 Deville... it has 24k miles on it and is in mint condition... nice leather... nice paint... but the bose radio.... oh... only one speaker is working... so I was thinking of swapping the speakers out & head unit out. I know the rear's speakers are 6x9 but what size would I replace the door ones with. Do I need to run new wires or can I just use the ones that are installed... I am not planning on running an amp or anything like that... I just want to get back to a functional system.

thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hello...
If you replace with another Bose, you can use the existing wires.
If you replace with an aftermarket, you will need to run new wires.

Will you do the install yourself or have it done?
Run a search on these forums-
...the answers to all of your questions can be found here.

Post back your solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I searched before I posted but did not see this exact thing come up... I really just want a system that works... but figure while I am at it I might as well get MP3 playing too...

I do not want this to cost a fortune so I am going to probably do the whole thing my self... I will also more then likely get everything off of ebay... or atleast the speakers... I see crutchfield gives the install kit & harness included with instructions... might be helpfull...

any ideas as to speaker size for the doors??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh... one more question... with an aftermarket radio does the auto antena still work??

thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what speakers will fit in the door to replace the bose units... will 6 3/4 work or 6 1/2...

I think I figured everything else out....

thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cleb

If you go to Crutchfield.com
They list the speaker sizes

Dash 4"x6"
Front doors 5-1/4"
Rear doors 5-1/4"
Rear deck All

·
Registered
31 Posts
All I can say is that MOST likely, you'd be better off having it done professionally. A friend of mine with a 86' Eldo with Bose system tried to replace everything himself...ended up taking it to a pro.! Who knows, maybe it'll work for ya!?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was basing the front door speaker sizing off of this web site :
http://younggotti.no-ip.org/Cadillac60Special/sound.html

My plan is to get the stereo from crutchfield so they give me the harness and the adapter plates. Then wire the harness into the factory harness with everything other then the speakers... Then run new wires to the front door spekers and rear deck speakers. A friend of mine used to work at a stereo shop doing installs and has agreed to lend a hand... It does not seem to hard...

I just want to make sure that I get the right speakers. I was planning on getting 6x9 for the back & 6 1/5 for the doors. But would love to hear from someone who has done this swap already....

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts