Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have scoured every forum and the entire internet. A lot had asked, but no definite answers.

I am trying to figure out, in my 2003 Cadillac cts with a BOSE system, what the OHM ratings are on the front & rear doors and center dash speakers are.

I had read rumors that the rear are 4 ohms and the front doors and dash are 2 ohms. I have even tried looking for the amp specs.

The reason I am asking is because I want to change the speakers and keep the working bose amp. Thinking Kappa 2 ohms in the front and not sure what 2 ohms i can put in dash yet. I know 3.5" fits in the dash. Front doors 6 3/4"- 5 1/4" , rear 5 1/4". Once i get the ohm ratings it should be easy.

If no one has the answer i suppose I'll be disassembling and removing the speakers to read each speaker to get the ratings.

I would appreciate any help if this has been answered anywhere, or if not we can get it here for everyone.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,487 Posts
Every Bose speaker I've ever tested has measured in at 0.75 Ohms.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every Bose speaker I've ever tested has measured in at 0.75 Ohms.
wow, Guess I will lose a lot of volume with any speakers i try to replace them with then, unless i get uber involved and switch amps...meh

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,342 Posts
........ and if you switch amps or the head unit you have a slew of hoops to jump through - the sound system is part of the car's TheftLock, content security, and serial data bus systems.

Talk to the guys at Crutchfield.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
........ and if you switch amps or the head unit you have a slew of hoops to jump through - the sound system is part of the car's TheftLock, content security, and serial data bus systems.

Talk to the guys at Crutchfield.
I already did switch the radio to a double din stereo and tapped into the input to the amp. I followed that write up someone had put up. I did keep all the functions, alarm, volume on the steering wheel and all the onboard computer functions. I didnt lose any functions at all. Everything is working fine. I just was looking to upgrade the speakers. The dash one sounds like it has ripped.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.7L
518 Posts
No offence, but I am doubting the .75ohm as NOMINAL resistance. Even the best high-end amps have a MAX low end resistance of .5 and that is for subwoofers and class D amplifier circuits. In addition, there is the impedance rise during actual use. But that is typically for subwoffers and not mids/highs.

You should be absolutely fine with 2-4 ohm speakers. I did infinity in mine (2ohm) and got better and louder sound.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No offence, but I am doubting the .75ohm as NOMINAL resistance. Even the best high-end amps have a MAX low end resistance of .5 and that is for subwoofers and class D amplifier circuits. In addition, there is the impedance rise during actual use. But that is typically for subwoffers and not mids/highs.

You should be absolutely fine with 2-4 ohm speakers. I did infinity in mine (2ohm) and got better and louder sound.
I think there used to be a write on this. I just couldn’t find it anymore. I think you are right on the 2 ohms. Most high end 4 channels seem to be stable down to 2. I appreciate all the inputs. At least I know now 2ohm all around it can handle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts