Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is necessary to do a bose system swap? If I can acquire the 7 speakers and the main amp from an 03 cts will it just plug and play in my 04? :halo:

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Nope, not even close. Only one member to date has done this (Miscreant) and he sold his CTS last year before writing up how he did it. Besides the four door speakers, two tweeters, and the center channel speaker being different, the Sub has only two wires for Bose, vs. 4 four base (dual voice coils). If you look at the schematics over at CadillacFAQ (or get the Helm manual), you'll see that the amps are wired completely differently, and not plug compatible. If you acquire a Bose amp with the pigtails (connectors and ~6" of harness) you can re-populate one of your existing connectors (i.e., C2 becomes C1), cut the wires to the other two, re pin them and insert them into your new Bose connectors. You'll have to run a few new wires (noise compensation microphone, etc), but it can be done. Just not easily.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The biggest problem you're going to have is researching and identifying part numbers, and locating vendors for the connectors. Miscreant sold his CTS and moved the the GTO forum before he documented any of his work, unfortunately. It took me over six months to identify the connectors and locate vendors for the Phase 2 Nav install (Phase 3 was supposed to be the Bose swap). All for a lousy $2.50 worth of terminals and connectors. Be aware, too, that many vendors have minimum purchases. I had to buy 400 Bose terminals for the C3 connector, when I only needed two. Good luck on locating the part number for the C1 and C2 connectors. If you're seriously contemplating this swap, I'd get a Helm Manual for all of the schematics. It won't be simple. If you succeed, be sure to "pay it back", by documenting it all and submitting it to Reed over at CadillacFAQ.com.

I'd keep an eye on EBay for a Bose amp with the pigtails attached. It will be MUCH cheaper than buying one new from GMPD (which won't have any mating connectors). You may even call some salvage yards to get a Bose amp.

The last time I got a PCM at a salvage yard, I asked about the connector. They cut off 12" of the harness with the connector for free.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
odysseus said:
I'd keep an eye on EBay for a Bose amp with the pigtails attached. It will be MUCH cheaper than buying one new from GMPD (which won't have any mating connectors). You may even call some salvage yards to get a Bose amp.

The last time I got a PCM at a salvage yard, I asked about the connector. They cut off 12" of the harness with the connector for free.
That is the key! I have yet to find the pigtails or I would have completed this mod already. Miscreant used some pigtails and spliced the wires. Finding all the connectors would be sweet but I was never able to locate all 3. :(

·
Registered
447 Posts
tonkio said:
I just want to add "BOSE" emblems, but I couldn't find them.:alchi:
I'll check with my installer to see if he kept my BOSE emblems after he tore them off in favour of good speakers.:stirpot:

·
Registered
447 Posts
FlyFlip420 said:
I wouldnt waste the time.....just go get aftermarket and have better sound!
Axy....hows the system sounding? Any pics
Sounds much better now. They "tuned" it and finalized the install...however, they lost my ashtray and spare tire screw on thingy, so they have to order me new ones (and yes, I still don't have my XM built into my ashtray).

On top of that, when I first sat in the car after they tuned it, the left side was popping, while the right side was barely noticeable. I had to call one of the install guys back (the only helpful one in the shop) and he came and tuned it, while bitching about how shitty his co-workers are and how he can't wait to open his own shop.

So after that, she sounds great, and looks pretty good too. I'll get pictures up this weekend (I SWEAR!) The plan is to hand wash her on Saturday and snap some pics when I'm done Sunday you should see a new thread up with my pics!:bouncy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts