Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for awhile now ive been meaning to try this but im not sure if it would be worth it. Ive got a pair for Infinity Ref 4 1/2 speaks and a pair of 5 1/4 with directional tweeters. I was gonna try and make the 5 1/4's fit but it looks as if all ill be able to do, without cuttin the box up, is instal the 4's. They are 35 watt rms and 105 peak 4 ohms. My question is would it be worth it to go though all the trouble of putting them in or just a waiste of my time or even worse could this damage the stock Bose amps (as i intend to just replace the front Bose speaks by putting the new Infinitys in and connecting them to the Bose amps inside of the fronts)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I think it would make a VERY noticable difference. You won't damage the stock amps at all by doing this. I had Sonys in the front for a few months until I needed them elsewhere. The front speakers are not that great at all, pretty much anything you put it will be better. It might even be possible to take the amp out of the echo box, and mount it somewhere in the door, then install your 5-1/4's and still use the Bose amp.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just making sure the ohm difference wouldnt hurt i know if i put the bose speaks to an aftermarket amp itll fry the amp that isnt 1 ohm stable. So even tho these are just the REF seriers not Kappa they should hit good? What size sony did you have in your SLS fronts?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
My sonys were 5-1/4's that I just stabbed in the hole, I didn't have the echo box working at all and they sounded pretty damn good. If I would have taken the time, I could have made them sound really good. The Bose speakers draw alot of power from the amp, that is why you can't hook the speakers up to another amp, but if you are hooking up a 4 ohm speaker, it is going to draw LESS power from the bose amp. The front Bose speakers are TERRIBLE, the echo boxes are the only things that make them any good, so if you can fit the infinity speakers in the echo box, it is going to sound great.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If you don't like the results, it is really easy to hook the factory Bose back up. I can guarantee you won't mess the amps up, I am using 6 ohm tweeters in my car.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea its just the fronts are sealed in there very well and i dont wanna break that seal pullin the old ones to install the new ones if they dont sound better

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I know the feeling, I only got one reply when I asked the same question. The truth was, that there wernt many people that had done this, they simply installed a new system. The seal is just a foam rubber gasket with some light duty glue holding it in, if you get a screwdriver behind it, it will pop right out.

·
Registered
92 Cadillac STS
48 Posts
ok i know i am bring this thread back from the dead, but how did this turn out for you. i am thinking about doing the same thing. I want to get the Infinity Kappa 5 1/4 components (2 ohm) and the kappa 6x9 (2 ohm) and drive them with the stock BOSE amps to each. Since they will be 2 ohm that will be 50 watts rms to each right? that should be enough power for now and then maybe get a 4 channel amp later?
Thanks
Ryan

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow
this is back before i became the advisor and learned so much about bose audio

You are exactly right about the 100watts being cut down to 50 due to the ohm difference
i swapped my speaks out for like a day before replacing and rewireing the entire system

now i have a a pioneer avic n1
infinity kappa perfect 6.1s
kicker 3 way 6x9s
a kicker 350.4
3 jl 12w6s
usamps de-1000

anyways
i noticed the loudness difference and it bothered me
im a true audiophile
so i replaced the whole system

replacing just the speaks will cause no ill affects at all and it does SOUND MUCH BETTER

·
Registered
92 Cadillac STS
48 Posts
thanks man. i figured they would sound much better lol. besides the kappas do you know of any other 2 ohm 5 1/4 components or 6x9s
thanks
ryan

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i THINK that diamond audio makes a set
if your looking for some great brand new speaks around 200 bucks (original cost 500+) pm me i can hook you up
i cant go into detail as this is not the place

·
Registered
277 Posts
now i have a a pioneer avic n1
infinity kappa perfect 6.1s
kicker 3 way 6x9s
a kicker 350.4
3 jl 12w6s
usamps de-1000
hmmm would you mind posting the cost of all that? I realize that you probably installed everything yourself so you have no installation costs.

I am dieing to get some subs in my car and now im even thinking of doing speakers also. Problem is, i don't really have the money that i want tfor the components that i want. lol

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Avic N1- 1K (with 3 year warrenty)
6.1 Perfects- 500
Kicker 3 ways- 80
Kicker 350.4- 250
3 JL Audio 12w6s- 1k
US-Amps DE-1000 -2k

i got an extra set of the kappa perfect 6.1s

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC & 1994 Pontiac Firehawk
1,158 Posts
^^^He lettning them Kappas go for a GOOD price.....good to deal with too, we seem to do a transaction like every 2 weeks lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts