Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
08 CTS 3.6, 83 Foxbody T-bird 5.0
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my 08 CTS last Tuesday morning to go to work. Pulled my MP3 player with the 3.5 jack line out of my 18 Altima. plugged it into the Aux. jack under the center console it worked for about 2 sec. then nothing, no sound, no nothing. The monochrome display still works, all sources: AM, FM, CD, XM and Aux. all preset stations, vol. level and tone levels. Everything shows up on the display but no sound. After reading a few forums I also learned: there's no key in ign. chime, blinker sounds and also On-star are effected. Everything worked fine last Monday the car is 08 CTS 3.6L luxury with 175K miles. When I got home that night I checked every fuse in the eng. compartment fuse block and also the trunk fuse block all fuses are good. The three fuses which supply power to the sound system are, RDO (radio) 15A, SPK (speaker) 15A, Amp (amplifier) 30A, On-star 10A. I hooked up my Snap-on scanner, scanned all 16 modules and came up with a radio code B1287- Amplifier Control Signal Circuit open or shorted. Possible causes: Faulty amplifier, Amplifier wiring harness has a broken line, Amplifier connections pins corroded, Faulty radio unit. The amplifier is also controlled by the Body Control Module which gives you the key in ign. chime and blinker sounds even when the radio is off. The amplifier has a built-in safety feature, if it detects a fault within the sound system it will automatically shut off until the fault is repaired. I checked all three amp. connections. I used my test light, and I have battery power to the heavy red wire and ground continuity in the heavy black wire in connection 1 which also operates the sub woofer. The other two connections in the amp. has nothing. There should be constant power from the BCM and switched power from the radio. Just FYI my Mp3 player works in all my other vehicles, so it did not blow the amp. My question is: does anybody have a current wiring diagram for this system, or is this a Dealer item to fix?

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
491 Posts
Have you ever used an MP3 player in the aux jack before?

Have you tried to disconnect and reconnect the battery?

·
Registered
2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L FE5
195 Posts
There was a similar thread recently that turned out to be a blown amp. J will post if I find it

·
Registered
2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L FE5
195 Posts
Found it. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
08 CTS 3.6, 83 Foxbody T-bird 5.0
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it. Hope it helps.

Have you ever used an MP3 player in the aux jack before?

Have you tried to disconnect and reconnect the battery?
Been using the same MP3 player (I hate radio stations too many commercials) for years in this 08 CTS, (with OE radio), 83 T-bird, 95 Econoline Van (both have Kenwood head units),18 Altima (with OE radio), and my 2000 H-D Electra Glide (with OE radio). Never had any problems with any vehicle. I also disconnected the battery for 10 hours reconnected the next morning and still nothing. Then something strange happened a few days ago. I started the CTS to move it, so I can ride my H-D to work, and the radio worked, sound and all. The wife used the car all day then the radio sound quit again. When I got home from work, I started the car and the radio worked again. OK, this time I dug deeper, I pulled the spare tire cover off, and found the carpet on the bottom of the trunk tub including the padding was soaked with water. I learned that the trunk mounted 3rd. brake light does not seal the bolt holes and wiring to the trunk lid itself. Which leads to water leakage in the trunk and pooling in the spare tire tub, which leads to moisture in the trunk. Guess where the Bose Amp. is mounted? in the trunk drivers side quarter panel. Now guess what is not a sealed unit? the Amp. It seems the fuse block and relays are not affected by the moisture, no signs of corrosion on them. I get a wild hair up my a** I remove the Amp. remove the 3-plastic mounting tabs from the Amp. remove the trunk / tub carpeting, and pre-heat my oven to 200 deg. turn off the oven, and place the Amp. in the oven and let it heat soak for two hours and longer, I also pulled the 30A Amp. fuse, I layed the carpet and padding next to the furnace, to let it dry completely for a few days. As soon as the weather clears up I'll reinstall everything. I also caulked the sh*t out of the back side of the 3rd brake light, no more leakage. I also found by accident, the left and right rear sunroof drain tubes behind the side panels. Cheesy design, they disconnect too easy (from vibration) from the rear wheel well boot. Which also leads to water leakage into the trunk. Has anybody had this type of problem before? due to moisture in the trunk. I'll keep you posted on my results. Right now everything is in the house and still apart due to weather conditions.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
8,948 Posts
Sunroof drain design is a well known, but easily correctable problem--fix all four. Good catch on the 3rd brake light leak...

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
491 Posts
Sunroof drain design is a well known, but easily correctable problem--fix all four. Good catch on the 3rd brake light leak...
Ding ding ding ding ding. We have a winner!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts