Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CT6 3.6L Platinum
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stuck. Two dealerships are stuck. I contacted Bose and haven't heard a word back. 4-year warranty over. 2016 Platinum very light cashmere interior. The grills on both front doors have what looks to be rusty spots inside the grill holes. It's not on the exterior where it can be wiped off. Looks to be in the small holes. Several spots on each side, some the size of a couple millimeters to as large as a nickle, mainly on the forward side of the cover. Rubbing doesn't touch it. I think it's rust but I can't prove it. Bought the car used and it was there when I got it. Doesn't look to be spreading. Look unattractive when the door is open and viewed straight on. Hard to see when the doors are closed. Thought of masking off the doors and Bose emblem and hitting it with some color-matching touch-up paint. Lightly covering and hopefully deep enough to cover the rust. Don't know if trying to replace would be a bigger PIA. Anyone else been down this road? Car is otherwise in great shape.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,969 Posts
I'm stuck. Two dealerships are stuck. I contacted Bose and haven't heard a word back. 4-year warranty over. 2016 Platinum very light cashmere interior. The grills on both front doors have what looks to be rusty spots inside the grill holes. It's not on the exterior where it can be wiped off. Looks to be in the small holes. Several spots on each side, some the size of a couple millimeters to as large as a nickle, mainly on the forward side of the cover. Rubbing doesn't touch it. I think it's rust but I can't prove it. Bought the car used and it was there when I got it. Doesn't look to be spreading. Look unattractive when the door is open and viewed straight on. Hard to see when the doors are closed. Thought of masking off the doors and Bose emblem and hitting it with some color-matching touch-up paint. Lightly covering and hopefully deep enough to cover the rust. Don't know if trying to replace would be a bigger PIA. Anyone else been down this road? Car is otherwise in great shape.
When did you buy? Could have been in the water

·
Registered
2016 CT6 3.6L Platinum
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it the first of Aug. No flooding in SC over the past few years along the coast. Hopefully it wasn't driven in the ocean! lol It's not the entire grill, more like half a dozen spots. The large grill on the back deck that covers the back speakers also has some discoloration in its grill. Strange. I contacted Bose again yesterday to get their take on it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Those definitely look like rust spots. That’s odd s as hell. Honestly I would just have Cadillac order two new grill covers and have them install it and be done with it. Yes on you’re dime but at least it’s done. That would bug the crap out of me. I would not cheese out my 90k car with painting the grills myself ghetto style. Sorry that’s not me. Pay the bill order the new parts case closed.

Also for the record I have a 16 plat Black with black interior and my panaray grills do not have that problem. I bet there was allot of humidity inside the car at one point in its life. Maybe there was a small condensation leak or something. Where is tire car from? Mike spent is first 4 years in Florida and now up here on Long Island with me since this past March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 CT6 3.6L Platinum
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I think I'll go to the dealership and let them replace them. Oh, believe me, it does bug me. The more I thought about it, the more I didn't want to try my own work. The car is from Myrtle Beach and spent its entire life there. Bose responded back and said to go to the dealership.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes, I think I'll go to the dealership and let them replace them. Oh, believe me, it does bug me. The more I thought about it, the more I didn't want to try my own work. The car is from Myrtle Beach and spent its entire life there. Bose responded back and said to go to the dealership.
Can’t be a coincidence that Irs from Myrtle beach and there’s some rust. Salt air etc. Any other rust on the car anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 CT6 3.6L Platinum
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rest of the car is very clean with no rust in sight. Undercarriage is clean. It still has the new car smell.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2019 CT6 Sport 3.0TT,2015 Luxury ATS , 2016 ELR, and Volt
2,380 Posts
Rest of the car is very clean with no rust in sight. Undercarriage is clean. It still has the new car smell.
You might want to try a rust remover like naval jelly--just rub it on. If you plan on replacing them there's nothing to lose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts